Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by piperdown »

Coach wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 am Hi Mike to be honest I never thought about that. Its a good point. The 610 epoxy tabs between the stitches will sit for like 55 hours so I should be good after that. I will be using the Marine Epoxy from BBC the rest of the way.
If I can get the rest of the gaps filled on Monday night it will sit and cure for 4 days then I have to sand and prepare for taping the seams. Its still pretty cold up here barely making it over 50 degrees so I cant move too quickly.
seaslug wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:11 pm 55 hours might be long enough, but I'm not an expert so you should check with Jacques to be sure. My other concern is your picture shows Quick Fair, a System 3 product, not the same as the Marine Epoxy, so the same situation with waiting for a full cure. I did the same thing on my first build, and the down time waiting for a full cure drove me crazy.
Not sure it was JM, although I think it was, might have been Jeff or Reid, but I recall seeing a couple of threads about different manufacturers of epoxy and they said 7 days for a full cure between using different brands, except between the MarinEpoxy and the Silvertip epoxy. Seems I recall something about them being more compatible and just 48 hours being enough.
Before doing anything thought, drop an email to Reid, Jeff and/or JM. Any of them should be able to answer as they have discussed this issue many times in the past.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

I was able to mix up some fillet last night and fill the rest of the gaps. I didn't realize how much wood flour you really need to make a good fillet! I went from a syrup, to honey to cake mix to cake frosting in consistency. The second batch I made was better than the first. Guess you learn as you go no matter how much reading you do! I will let this sit for the rest of the week and hopefully get the seams with tape done this weekend. This morning the epoxy fillet was still a bit tacky but its still cold so the cure time I expect will be longer. I would think 5 days is enough. Here are a couple pics.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Squeezed in a little work yesterday sanding down the fillets on the seams using a RO sander. Impressed with the Dewalt 6423k with the universal dust collection adapter. Hooked up to a small vac there was very little dust to deal with! I also used a 1/2" round over bit for the transom edges.

It was getting late and I ran out of time and also ran out of my 12 oz 6" Biax Tape. I was about 6ft short. Not sure if it was me or the changes I made to the plans. I put 2 layers down the middle of the keel and layed out a single layer down one of the chines. When I got to the other chine I realized I didn't have enough tape to complete it so I just covered the transom edges. I will order another 6 yards today and will plan to do a wet on wet process for that chine next weekend when I lay down the sheet of glass over the sheer and bottom. I hope thats ok. I looked back at the plans for the lamination schedule and it does say 2 layers biax on keel. Maybe I just wasn't thinking about adding extra yards when I ordered the supply? Its ok...I have a week of rain coming so it will sit for a week and I will sand it down and get going again next weekend. Only regrets is that I didn't have time to come back and clean up some drips and trim the edges of the tape with a knife having to leave for a 50th b-day party for a friend.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

I have a question as I prepare to glass the bottom on saturday: Do I,
A:) Cut the sheet of glass into 4 pcs? Transom, 2 sheers and a bottom and trim to shape and overlap them? Or
B:) Try to use one big sheet and drape over the hull trying to shape it out?

I am leaning towards A but felt I should ask before I mess up!

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Check your lamination schedule first.
I used 2 big sheets since I went all the way to the shear on both sides. Middle overlapped by about 10 inches. Ran it from the front all the way back over and down the rear transom. Cut a few reliefs at the corners and folded over.
Also depends on the width of your cloth. Mine was 50" wide.

Edit: I laid the cloth out 2 days before so it had a chance to relax into shape. It appears that your boat is a bit skinnier than mine so you might get away with just one layer overhanging the transom to the bow. Still depends on the width of the cloth. Mine called for 6" above the chine. I would have had to run 2 sets of cloth anyway so I decided to go all the way up to the rub rail and over.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I used 2 sheets of 4oz, 30" wide and overlapped them at the keel. Made it all the way to the sheer except at the midship . I did the transom as a separate piece.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I think I will go with two sheets overlapping at the keel and a third for the transom.
I am covering the hull fully to the rub rail.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Got her covered today. Started around 8:00am and finished up around 3:30pm. Worked alone and used about 1.5 gal of resin. Pretty pleased with the process. Took my time and just went out now at 5:30pm to trim up the edges. I will check in with the BBC crew about waiting a week and using Quick Fair next Saturday to fill the weave. I am not confident I have enough quick fair to do it all. Should I be mixing my own thickened epoxy to skim coat first and then use the quick fair at the step after, just before paint? Here are a few pics from today.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looking Good!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Nice looking work. I think I would go ahead and use your own mix for gross fairing at this point. Get things as close to fair as you can now and save the quickfair for finish fairing.