Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by cape man »

That sounds like a good idea and anchor. :)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

More good news. She weighed 488lbs. I estimated 50lbs or so of gear which brings her 1lb within my estimate!

I stuck a papertowel in the sole penetration for fuel line to catch any water when turned upside down and its dry.

Great signs that listing was due to the 22lbs of water removed from stern port compartment.

I will move on to repair and not worry about water under the sole!

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Interesting to see the dings on hull bottom. Some with circular cracks. I will have to pay special attention to those areas when sanding to make sure they dont chip off in that circle. She must have banged on rock top before settling in on the starboard side chine.

cape man

Post by cape man »

You have work that isn't expected but as we say, "ain't nuthin but a thang". You're going to be fine and we learn from these thangs. 8)

She isn't like that pontoon boat!!! You built it strong.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Wow. Sorry you have to do this especially so soon after launch....

Those cracks are interesting. I wonder what Jacques would think of them.

You built her, you can fix her! Thanks for sharing the mistakes as well as the victories! :D

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Sanded hull entirely with 320 grit paper. Focused a bit on areas with stress cracks but did not see any reason why I cannot repair normally with quickfair and sand. Sanded damaged chine with 60grit, then taped up the area to repair, used some spare trim boards, covered inside with packing tape, then taped to hull. Filled with thickened epoxy. Mostly wood flour but added some cabosil. Filled drill holes with piping bag then went ahead and filled gap with rest of epoxy. Next step is to shape, sand smooth and tape with two layers of 12oz glass. Thats what I have left. Here are a few pics:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Pissah work coach, you'll be boatin' keepahs in no time!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

I can hear that accent all the way from Montpelier Jeff! :lol:
My best friend played soccer at Norwich and I spent alot of time up there in Vermont.
Beautiful part of the country!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Coach wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:13 pm Beautiful part of the country!
Amen! Been here (southern, rural VT, just over Ma border) for 20+ years, wife and I both from Ma originally(me Southboro/she New Bedford). I moved here for the whitewater, she moved here for the same reason, a few years after me. I don't have a real mass accent, my wife has a bit of one, but my mother-in-law is like "one, two, three , Fo-Ah". Legit. :lol:

I would have done the minimum to get the boat back in the water ASAP and planned the major repair for after the end of the season. You've clearly shown that there's no value in rushing, very commendable! Hats off and keep up the great work!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Gonna be a busy week so wont be able to get back at it till the weekend but its a start! Needs some shaping and sanding before tape.