Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful job, she is a new standard!!!! Congratulations!!!! Jeff

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Awesome job! I have a set of these plans. You have me thinking here...
Gary
GF-16 Completed

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Beautiful build, and just a year and half too, that's the part I can't believe given how long my build is taking. Nice work!

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Thanks guys! Launched her for the first time Saturday morning. Took a spin around the harbor with my wife and daughter then on Sunday went for a 6hr run with my son and pulled in some stripers. All were under regulation but it was a fun time anyhow. She ran very well! Considering there was 1ft to 3ft swells in the bay both days. I didn't want to push the outboard as its brand new and I want to honor the first 10 hrs of use, however I did get her up to 13 mph. Honestly I thought the 15hp was going to be too much power for her but after this weekend a 25hp would probably be the perfect fit.
Not that I need to go fast but in the bay the swells can get a bit much and the 15hp seemed to struggle a bit to push through the chop.

What are your thoughts on proper speeds for a 15hp outboard on a skiff like this? Keep in mind I had 500 lbs of passengers Sat and 400 lbs Sunday.

Next weekend will be more interesting as we are heading to Maine for the week and are renting a cabin on Highland Lake for the week so I will have plenty of time to test her out. Really curious how she will do on some flat water! I bet those speeds will come up quite a bit.

Here is a short video clip of the launch and some pics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPzlFHKEos

Collateral Damage:

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

Been way too busy rebuilding a house, but have followed your build from the beginning. Definitely one of the nicest builds ever posted on the forum, and a boat anyone would be proud to own. Be prepared for lots of compliments and questions at the boat ramps. I think a 20hp would be the perfect fit, but I'm curious how she'll do on flat water when the motor is broken in. Enjoy your vacation, you deserve one. Mike

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Wow Seaslug thanks so much! I read every page of your builds before I started. It was your description of the hatch build process that helped me figure out what to do with mine. Your finishes are awesome!

This forum was the main reason I chose a bateau and I am grateful for all of the help and support from the guys here. Especially Capeman who was my right hand man during this whole process. I had many questions as a first time builder and he always took the time to answer quickly. For that I am thankful.

Hermine was my inspiration. This sister is much much heavier!

Looking forward to posting more pictures and data from her runs at the lake.
I still need to measure her at rest draft. I think its about 8”.

cape man

Post by cape man »

The picture of the empty shed is priceless! So glad I could help but you have shamed us all with what you made. You should definitely build another one some day. You have the talent!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:25 am The picture of the empty shed is priceless!
Agreed! Coach, you are now officially an "Empty Shedder"!

Who landed the first fish? You should frame it and hang it on the wall!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Coach, she is beautiful!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Looks great.
I am looking forward (dreading?) cleaning up my tent as well :)