Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by seaslug »

I'm glad to hear my build was useful for some ideas in creating this beauty. And your boat came out so nice it even attracts good looking women, all I get are a bunch of broken down old guys in their 60's and 70's riding with me. Mike

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

:lol: Lets pray it attracts more fish than women! Fish are easier to throw back in the water! :lol:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Coach wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:05 am :lol: Lets pray it attracts more fish than women! Fish are easier to throw back in the water! :lol:
:lol: :lol: Coffee all over my keyboard :help:

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Forgot I had one more video clip of the test run at around 12MPH in a bit of a chop in the harbor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c_AM_kpm8U

cape man

Post by cape man »

That's getting it in that little boat! So impressed.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Took her to work today and launched her into the Merrimack River. Nashua Nh rebuilt the launch in 2020 and the access is very nice to the river. She has a 5” draft and is still running 13mph with two guys and gear. Pulled out 4 smallies tonight! I may want to add a 2nd battery as I did have an issue starting her. I think its because I ran the bilge pump when I washed and hosed her down after my harbor run on Sunday. Volts were 12.5 but she cluncked silent when I pushed the start button. Weird but was able to get her started after sitting a few minutes. Do you guys trickle charge before every run? I did not expect I would have to do that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I have a charger on my batteries all the time when parked. If you can't get near an outlet, there are lots of good small solar chargers. I am thinking of getting one for my week long camping trip.
Check your ground connections. The fact that it started after sitting a while may just be a bad ground. Does that motor have an alternator?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Definitely check for a loose battery connection. Dying battery will turn the starter. Bad connection will clunk.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Thanks guys! Always learning. Still a rookie! My other thought is voltage drop. Its a small battery with 200 amp cold cranking and its located out front in bow hatch on 4awg wiring. I have a 2 battery switch in rear hatch with electrical. Was thinking about putting a pwc battery in that hatch as battery 2. Just use it for cranking by selecting 1&2 at start and while running. If I stop I can easily swap over to the one in the bow if needed at night for lights or whatever.

I will check the connections and maybe look at a small onboard charger to mount out front. Didnt realize guys keep batteries on chargers all the time.
My fault for thinking it would be just like a car and not needed since the engine has an alternator.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Coach wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:45 am My fault for thinking it would be just like a car and not needed since the engine has an alternator.
I think it should be just like a car. I've never kept my boats on a charger and rarely have had a need to jump a boat. That is a long run from the bow to the motor but I would think 4awg would do it, I'm sure someone else on here knows a lot more about that.

If it were me, I'd exhaust other options before adding another battery. My plan/hope is to use just a single Motorcycle battery with my 20hp Honda, which does have a pull start if I get into trouble, not sure about yours.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie