Bob's FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Bob's FS18

Post by Jaysen »

toadfish wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:18 pm The "skeg" trial fit. Not drinking beer on Monday night!
Why not? You won’t be drinking alone as long as I’m still breath!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Bob,

The hull is coming along really well! Nice clean work!!! I agree with Jaysen, but finish the Skeg then go on to the Keg!

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

It's been pretty hot in Savannah this summer. Block sanding the hull has definitely required a post-game beverage or two!

On the way back from an Everglades fishing trip in April, I made a quick stop off of the Florida Turnpike to visit Boat Builder Central for supplies (thanks Jeff and Reid!). One of the things I picked up was a 6mm Okume sheet, CNC cut for the FS 18 rubrail. I saw this on Reid’s build thread and they were generous enough to cut one for me too.

Multiple pieces of the rail ready to be laminated. I taped the hull to keep it free of glue "squish." The tape line also shows another one of my goofs. Screws were used to temporarily position the side panel when it was bonded to the transom. Thought they were backed out enough to prevent a low spot, but should have triple checked. More fairing later

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Still trying to catch up to current progress. Didn't get much done in May due to trips for work. Since then, a ton of fairing.

I used epoxy mixed with chopped fibers to sharpen the rail edges.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Very nice work!! 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Sanded after the first coat of primer.

A very pesky transom fly...

Transition from the sharp to rounded rail is made about seven feet from the transom

Fuzz was right, ended up needing bracing on the middle set of legs

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice progress toadfish!! Jeff

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Man you are scaring me rolling that thing around on just 2x4's. I just had to fix a strongback leg where it finally worked loose where a leg attaches to my strongback from me pushing it in and out of the garage so much. That thing is very light right now. It won't stay that way.

Believe me you don't want to see your hull laying on the ground. I had a wheel catch on something one time and when I pushed to move it the whole thing started to fall over. I was able to slow the fall but it still landed on the rub rail. Thankfully I was at the point you are now so it was nothing to pick the whole thing back up and correct everything. I ended up with a small dent in the rub rail and that was all. If it fell over now, every neighbor around me would hear it.

The boat is looking great!!

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

The legs are scaring me a bit too, so I'll be overhauling them when I flip the hull, which I hope will be soon. These photos are almost up to date with actual progress. I was super pleased with how things looked after the second coat of primer.

I used a 3M dry guide coat to hand block the entire hull. It turns out that this probably should have done after the first coat of primer, since the hull was not nearly as fair as I thought.

Ready for the third coat of primer.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Nice!