Bob's FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Bob's FS18

Post by toadfish »

Some transom progress: Because the geography around here rarely requires running in super skinny water, I’m using a manual jack plate instead of a hydraulic one to save a little weight. Vance Manufacturing’s mini only weighs about 10 lbs.

Rather than drill/fill/drill, I decided to make a jig and over-bore the transom holes for carbon fiber tubing with the proper inside diameter to accept the mounting bolts for the plate. The tube is 10mm ID / 12mm OD, which gives a tiny bit of wiggle room for the 3/8" bolts and room for the adhesive lining the ½” holes in the transom

Must have trail-fit the plate in the jig ten times before clamping it to the transom. Definite pucker factor when the holes were drilled.

Success! The inside of the holes were coated with epoxy and gel magic was used to glue the tubes. No picture, but the tubes were stuffed with plastic wrap to keep them free of adhesive.

The excess tubing will be trimmed flush on the inside. Those ugly black streaks are where I dripped sweat on the uncured epoxy while taping the transom. Pretty gross.

Not a great picture, but very clean on the outside and just a bit proud so they'll end up completely flush with the final sanding of the primer.

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Trailer try-on from a few weeks ago. Want to make sure to get the bow eye in the right spot for the roller.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

toadfish, good looking trailer for that FS18!!! Jeff

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Overdue progress posts. Before putting the hull back on the strong back, I marked for placement of the bow eye below the roller and then modified a piece of stainless rubrail to protect the bow from the roller damage while trailing. It also solves the problem of the nuts on the base of the eye overhanging the acute angle of the bow. Also placed backing for both the transom and bow eyes.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress toadfish!!!! Jeff

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

More progress, but it really slowed down for a while after flipping the hull. Plenty of decisions needed to be made before the frames were installed. Completely stole the designs for the horizontal drain slots in bulkhead E and aft storage, which required extension of the transom knees. Thanks PapaDave! I also decided on a small coffin box/grab post console and made a basic mockup out of cardboard. A jig was used to cut a 3” PVC pipe lengthwise that runs along the keel as a chase and drain for the bow compartment. It will be glassed into to place and communicate up through the floor into the console. You can see from the photos it was all kind of happening at once.

The jig let me run the pipe through the table saw once down each side.

Router setup to cut horizontal slots in the stern bulkhead. Semi-circular cutout for the PVC chase and repaired cutout visible where I changed my mind

Chase and bulkheads trial fit

New pieces cut to extend from transom knees to the bulkhead. Circular cutouts are for deck plate access into the side compartments

Console mockup was placed to position the floor access into the chase. This was accomplished by sectioning and adding a two-way cleanout that is just visible in the last photo

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Christmas came early! A while ago I had also made cardboard mockup for the fuel tank and it recently arrived. It will rest on the stringers as well as two additional parallel supports on either side of the keel. I'll place blocks on the forward bulkhead and the stringers for securing with the mounting tabs.

Additional supports tacked into place. Plan is to add cleats to the supports and stringers and isolation strips to the bottom of the tank where it will rest on them.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice looking fuel tank! You are doing some nice work there.

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Didn't realize my last post was before the end of the year. Progress slow but steady. Got the cleats placed on the supports for the fuel tank. Also used 5200 to bond neoprene rubber isolation strips to the bottom of the tank where it will rest in the supports.

Finished up the cleats for the sole and ready for foam.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great progress!! Looks great as well!! Jeff