C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Probably about halfway done now, if you spend the normal amount of time on finishing details.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:28 am Probably about halfway done now, if you spend the normal amount of time on finishing details.
I'm thinking 5/8 of the way.. What's that converted to metric? 15.5mm? :lol:

How about the Doldrums of the Bilge?

I think what has slowed me down is being at a point where decisions need to be made, and there is a lot I don't know about fuel and mechanical systems. Thankfully, I have some competent local resources to whom I can turn when I need to get talked up to the next milestone.

An acquaintance, Kevin Agee, recently completed this 27 foot beauty just down the road, and he has been a text away for the last few weeks. I encourage you all to take a look.
https://dudleydix.blogspot.com/2020/07/ ... ssion.html

He suggested a 1/2 plywood deck in the bilge on which the gas tanks will sit. This part is glassed on the bottom, set in a bed of peanut butter along the edges, soon to be filleted and tabbed in place. This large panel will sit between frames C and D, which will accommodate a 27 gallon aluminum tank. The smaller "1/2 panel", between B and C, glued in place this evening, will support what I suspect will be about a 12-15 gallon tank. I've been waiting to get these panels in before turning a local fabricator loose on building the tanks.

All the time I've spent crawling around in the bilge has allowed me to think about where floatation will be. I don't have a complete plan yet, but I'm sure I only want it in completely sealed compartments. This center cavity between frames D and E looks like a nice voluminous compartment for foam, but the limber holes presented a challenge. I used the opportunity to try my had at mold making, and utilized seasonally appropriate mold material; and empty wrapping paper tube. Covered it in plastic, and laid up 2 layers of 12 oz tape over it.

This was then glued into a bed of peanut butter, and too will be tabbed in place.

I'm visiting the local Suzuki guy this week with a handful of PVC pipes and fittings to get a sense of how all of the connections will fit, and whether or not they will pull through 2" tube.

I'm looking forward to laying down some cleats on top of the frames soon.

Happy New Year, Fellas!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Best use of wrapping paper to date, great work!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Foam above a foot up the hullsides might even keep her upright floating sunk. Required stability in manufactured boats under ?21' or so.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan do not use white water line PVC pipe for your curves. Instead use gray electrical PVC for your curves. There is a large difference and the electrical PVC allows for easier pulling of wires and mechanical apparatus. For your motor controls you might even want to consider 2.5" tubing. Don't use less than an 1.5" for fuel line.

Your boat is looking good, just take your time coat every thing in epoxy and fiberglass. There is a C19 down in Florida that was the first one built in the mid-90s that is still going strong. He powered it with a Yamaha 115 but a 90 would be plenty.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Just a little bit more than a month since last post.

Took some time off to do house work, and had the pleasure of mild case of the Covids. We had our floors redone and my wife an I up-cycled our front room into a at home work area. While the floors were worked on, all the furniture went into the garage, which dictated the boat was rolled out to the driveway for a few weeks. I'm glad to have ber back in side, and at least the first phase of home improvement projects for the year are behind us.

I finished the drawer boxes and shoe molding and crown this weekend, but still need drawer fronts. White oak floating shelves, coated with Rubio Monocoat feel nice to the touch.

Temporary tarp support panels were cut per plans, which will be helpful for pulling in the sides when it's time to set the above sole frames.

Gas tanks are being made. Gas tank bed is good to go: 1/2" fir ply, 12oz bi-ax on both sides, bedded in a generous bead of epoxy thickened with wood flour.

Spent this afternoon fitting 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" douglas fir cleats which have a3/8" deep dado in the bottom. This extra height affords me a few more inches of gas tank height and feet above waterline. Probably some extra weight there, but this has to be better than fitting 900 1x cleats along the sides of stringers and frames.

As well as getting caught up on my build, I'm looking forward to getting caught up with ya'lls as well!

Happy New Year, fellas!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Both AA and I did our cleats that way. It sure makes that job easier in my mind.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:31 pm this has to be better than fitting 900 1x cleats along the sides of stringers and frames.
Agreed. Root canal may be in the race as well. ;)

I am usually on the constant lookout for shortcuts, not sure why I let this one pass by. I'm guessing that a deep dado and good adhesion on the sides of the stringers is the key.

Glad to see you back at it and knocking out some sweet home improvement projects at the same time. Floating shelves look great!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:57 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:31 pm this has to be better than fitting 900 1x cleats along the sides of stringers and frames.
Glad to see you back at it and knocking out some sweet home improvement projects at the same time. Floating shelves look great!
Much appreciated Jeff! They were fun. First time using Rubio as well. Pecking at the keyboard in the new office space currently, and it feels almost as good as crawling around the bottom of the boat racing to spread rapidly solidifying peanut butter. :lol:

It dawned on me last night as I wess fitting the few forward frame cleats as to how close I could be to setting at least one piec of deck. These cleats will be forward of station 2, and under a hatch/seat. Intentionally higher than the main sole so I can drain this compartment via weep hole onto the sole. While waiting for the gas tanks to arrive, I believe I will focus on this section and work my way toward the transom!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Glad you got over the Covid crap.

Looks good. That fir is fancy lookin stuff for cleats, but at least it won't break on you.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495