C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 pm Way to own it!

"I cut a board, it was too short. Cut it again, still too short".

Morbid curiousity: is this another drank-too-soon do-over? The glue line looks suspiciously like something that was scabbed back on.

20210516_210414.jpg

I like the bevel, btw, I skipped it on my bow sole and it cost me a lot of peanut buttet.
It happens...

“Infill” sounds more deliberate than “scab”.

Infill on the bulkhead was to raise the step height a little. I cut it per the plans, but thought it low. Raised it 3-1/4” to make it easier to jump up on the bow and launch a 3oz buck tail.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm a little worried my gutters are too little, so I am planning four drains in each one. But the issue is a bit counter intuitive. A larger gutter means more water can enter it. So maybe I am full of it or at least they'll work in heavier rains.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I did the same after I saw what the bow hatch looked like as a square, in-filled it with the triangles cut off the lid. It is nice how forgiving this method is for re-design on the fly.
20210517_092429.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:27 am I'm a little worried my gutters are too little, so I am planning four drains in each one. But the issue is a bit counter intuitive. A larger gutter means more water can enter it. So maybe I am full of it or at least they'll work in heavier rains.
I’m venturing into an unknown with hatch gutters. Couldn’t wrap my brain around the geometry for a while.

I was able to measure some hatch gutter details on a Mako at Bass Pro, and I’m using those dimensions. These will also drain to the lip of the step. Hopefully...

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 am I did the same after I saw what the bow hatch looked like as a square, in-filled it with the triangles cut off the lid. It is nice how forgiving this method is for re-design on the fly.

20210517_092429.jpg
Sometimes more glue than stitch. :lol:

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Been a busy month, fiddling with this and that on the boat. Keeping my attention on the forward section and watching you guys make blazing progress. Well done fellas!

Attending You Tube University trying to learn about molding hatches and gutters. Collecting supplies which includes better PVA than the cheapest option on Amazon, which I bought, but it was exceptionally runny. Maybe the good stuff is not so much so. Hope to have a report on them soon.

Before closing in the anchor locker I added a white oak backing plate and drilled for the 3/8" bow eye. Drilled oversize holes, 5/8", to install my home made fiberglass sleeves. I glued these guys in with thickened epoxy to seal the penetrations. Probably overkill, but they give me piece of mind. At this point in the project, there is no sense in taking the simple route. Backing plate was cut out of a short piece of 304 stainless angle.

Again, not the simple route, but I added this bulkhead, Frame A2, to support the enlarged bow deck. It's tabbed in place on the forward face. Will clad with Sapele on the aft face, facing the console.

Frame A was cut per plans, but wound up slightly undersize. I think the port side side panel is flared out farther than it should be, so it reads low and wide. Nothing to be done about it now, other than scab through it.

A few fishing breaks here and there. Puppy Drum are profuse in the marsh this year. Tried for tuna out of Oregon Inlet, but went 1-6 on bites. Redemption Round next weekend, hopefully...

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:43 pm Attending You Tube University trying to learn about molding hatches and gutters.
Damn, looks like you earned your diploma! Is that a mold or a part?

please drop pin where you got that fish, Elaine is loading the car now.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

C’mon down! These fish are shallow feeding on small crabs. You and Elaine will crush them on the fly.

This is the mold. Modeled in Fusion, cnc cut from 2 layers of 3/4 MDF.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

While hatch molding experiments are ongoing, we sand and vacuum on Saturday morning. Prepped to add the brightwork cladding on the bulkhead, but first, will add CSM over the glass on the inside rather than fairing.

My thoughts on fairing, is that is an all or nothing enterprise. You can either build the layers and make them smooth, or nothing, and this compartment doesn't need the whole nine. I'm optimistic that the CSM will provide a uniform but not smooth finish.

Pleased to see the shape of the added bulkhead aligns with the the shearline. Honestly, I got lucky here, but I'll take it. Strut between the tow will support the joint in the deck.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

1 oz. CSM worked beautifully evening out the layers of tape and glass. I think it will be ready for primer after a quick lick with the sander.