C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Fuzz »

Is the transom cut for a 20 or a 25 inch shaft? Looks like a deep cut out from here.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:24 pm Is the transom cut for a 20 or a 25 inch shaft? Looks like a deep cut out from here.
I agree! It does look deep. i.e. too close to the water. It’s cut out per plans but I’ve been contemplating how to contend with the transom.

Earlier today I was looking at it considering adding 5” and commit myself to a long shaft outboard.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That boat looks like an offshore boat to me and I would want at least a 25 inch for it. No idea of what you have planned for it.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:23 pm That boat looks like an offshore boat to me and I would want at least a 25 inch for it. No idea of what you have planned for it.
Yeah man. I’m sold. Inshore and near shore for me and this boat.

21” from the keel to the bottom of the cut out. Transom is unfinished so adding won’t hurt too much.

Thanks for talking me into it!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

:D

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Taping inside seams. 2 layers on the chines, 3 at the keel, all set in green wood flour fillets. Learning to let the fillets cure longer than I might think is acceptable. Kind of hard to tell, but in the last pic of the transom there is a layer of cloth on the transom under the transom clamp. Happy to have saved the cutoffs from when I glassed the outside of the transom, they fit perfectly with little trimming under the clamp!

Undecided about transom modification. Can see the potential benefits, but not sure I have the stomach for the work.

Fillets, it seems, would be best laid using fast epoxy, even though I'm using slow to wet out the tapes. I had concerns about mixing hardener types on top of one another, but I've since been told that this is not a problem.

Cutting big sheets of glass today.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I like my fillet resin to be thick enough to not sag, but uncured enough to 'grab' the tape.

If my laminating fails, it won't be my tape seams.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:40 pm
Fuzz wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:23 pm That boat looks like an offshore boat to me and I would want at least d25 inch for it. No idea of what you have planned for it.
Yeah man. I’m sold. Inshore and near shore for me and this boat.

21” from the keel to the bottom of the cut out. Transom is unfinished so adding won’t hurt too much.

Thanks for talking me into it!
I would not worry about it. It is set for a 20" shaft motor and unless you are going far off shore it is not a big deal. To rebuild it up to 25" would require a major rebuild of the transom. With multiple boards and fiberglass added from across the total width of transom to support the boards added to raise the level in the cut out and you will need to build up the side boards. Remember Jacques designs his boats with a bulkhead ahead of the motor to prevent water from coming in from the stern. I know of at least of a couple guys that built to plans that went far off shore and had no problems. Jim W who built the first C19 routinely went far off shore and caught marlin and mahi. He put a 115 Yamaha on his boat.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:33 am To rebuild it up to 25" would require a major rebuild of the transom. With multiple boards and fiberglass added from across the total width of transom to support the boards added to raise the level in the cut out and you will need to build up the side boards. Remember Jacques designs his boats with a bulkhead ahead of the motor to prevent water from coming in from the stern. I know of at least of a couple guys that built to plans that went far off shore and had no problems. Jim W who built the first C19 routinely went far off shore and caught marlin and mahi. He put a 115 Yamaha on his boat.
The best way to describe what it will take rhymes with duckery.

I’ve messaged back and forth with Jim a bit and his run in his C19 is impressive.

If I keep the momentum going on glassing I’ll pass on the modification, but give a little time to think about I could dive right in.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

No transom mods yet. Keeping progress moving on the inside.

After tapes went down, I laid out all of the interior fiberglass, cut to size, marked edges with a sharpie, and rolled each back up on a roll.

Last weekend, I laid the side and bottom panels on the starboard side. I didn't let the neat coat kick as much as I should have which caused a handful of bubbles I believe were caused by out gassing. Nothing too terrible. I ground out a few and filled with cabosil and chopped strands.

To avoid the same on the port side, I rolled the neat coat the night before, then started in the morning with wood flour thickened epoxy to smooth over rough edges and any remaining holes or imperfections on the inside of the plywood. Ate breakfast, and unrolled each sheet in place. I pinned the side panel sheet up and out of the way, and focused on the lap of the bottom panel at the chine. Had I tried to wet out both sheets at the chine, I surely would have run into bubbles caused by sheets not bedding tight into the corner. Both panels were wet out together. It took about 2 hours, 200 oz of slow cure MarinEpoxy.

I have a few bubbles on this side, but I think they are from little clumps of wood flour that got hard before I could push them flat under the the glass. Will grind and fill as needed.

Time to drag the stringers out and neat coat the bottoms of each.