C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomTom wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:38 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:24 am
I bet a 22x8 will run more efficiently though.
Ill keep you posted :D :D

Your boat looking great - love the chines and paintwork looks awesome.
Thank you as always. Can't wait to see your girl back up on step!

The Stringer show continues...

Pulled a pair of strings athwartship, one forward, one aft, and shimmed the hull a little on the starboard to get a little bit of wind out of her.

Cut limber holes forward of each frame slot and coated the bottom edges and limber holes with a few coats of neat epoxy.

Spent a fair amount of time putting them in, and taking them out, using tempory frames and blocking checking for hard spots and level. After removing 3/8" or so from the bottom edge at the back of each, I set them on shims fore and aft, and spot welded each into place with thickened epoxy. With only a few short beads of cured glue, it was remarkable how much rigidity they added to the hull.

Ran fillets on the outboard port stringer and taped each side for the first time, need to do the 2nd run this afternoon. I bet I will have 12 hours in filleting and taping on all 4 stringers, as the first will have taken close to 3. One of many examples of how the time that goes into these builds grows and grows, but as the time grows, so do the milestones!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Keep on keepin on!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:24 pm Keep on keepin on!
Just. Keep. Building.

I have a feeling these projects scale up exponentially the larger the boat.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:02 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:24 pm Keep on keepin on!
Just. Keep. Building.

I have a feeling these projects scale up exponentially the larger the boat.
Or in the case of a catamaran, multiply by two.

Yesterday, for example, I tried the steering culinders the seastar tech specified. They don't fit. Neither one!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I can’t imagine, sir. You have the fortitude for it for sure.

Good news is, get it figured out for one hull, then just repeat on the others 🤷‍♂️

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Only appropriate, the morning after the late night sesh in the garage, taping the last stringer, I got the Fb memory notification laminating the stingers on the floor last year. It only took them a year to be fixed in their final resting place. Happy to have these done. I averaged about 16 oz of epoxy on each layer of tape. Each layer of tape was about 15' long. This is in addition to the ounces that went into putty and fillet material.

Outboard side of outboard starbourd stringer has a pile of air bubbles that will be ground out and covered. Limber holes need to be opened and sanded smooth. Nothches in stringers need to be widened because I got a deal on 12 sheets of 12mm okuome. Existing notches are for 3/8. No big deal. Will take care of these before cutting and installing frames.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Got a sweet deal on 12 sheets of 12mm 1088, on the condition I took the whole stack, which I did. A few sheets had some damage and one was warped, but this will get me through the end. Plans call for mostly 9mm, but I'll use 12 for all of it, Sole, frames and deck.

Cut the frames on the CNC, did a little grinding where necessary, and sealed the bottom edges with epoxy. Need to re-up on materials this week, but after frames are glassed in and cleats in place, I'm not sure what to tackle next. Thinking gas tank, maybe? What do you all think?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Love the C19. Since you have all the frames in, now is the time to start running your PVC conduits for electrical wires and control lines. Also the gas tank and gas line placement. Do not skimp on the size of the conduits or the number of them, you will be surprised at how many and how large they need to be to get things through them. Use electrical sweep 90's not plumbing ones they will make pulling the wires and control cables easier.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:31 pm Love the C19. Since you have all the frames in, now is the time to start running your PVC conduits for electrical wires and control lines. Also the gas tank and gas line placement. Do not skimp on the size of the conduits or the number of them, you will be surprised at how many and how large they need to be to get things through them. Use electrical sweep 90's not plumbing ones they will make pulling the wires and control cables easier.

Tom
Roger that. Plans give good direction on conduit layout, and will go with that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Awesome progress, Dan, has to feel great to have another big task behind you! You just passed me again, btw; my stringers are filleted in, not glassed yet(I only have 2, not 4). My "72 hour window" is closing, hoping to glass tonight. Keep up the great work!

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie