C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:20 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 pm [quote=Dan_Smullen post_id=485111 time=<a href="tel:1613436676">1613436676</a> user_id=81999]
That's not boatbuilding. That's marine construction surgery!

Were you looking to add height by skipping the dado?
Yes, but also, my table saw is 20 minutes away at the shop, and didn’t feel the dado was worth the drive. These cleats will support the sole in the forward compartment, so having it a little higher than the main sole will allow for the limber holes a little higher.

How do you feel about the strength of the cleat glued to the top of the stringer sans dado?
[/quote]

I think your fillets do the same job: increase the glue area between the sole bottom and the stringer, and resist bending of the stinger by forming an I beam. The closer they mimick cleats, the less you'll sweat when you hit that wake head on at speed!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:20 pm How do you feel about the strength of the cleat glued to the top of the stringer sans dado?
I think it's also important to remember that you're an engineer and that I write business software, btw......I'm probably more qualified to comment on the strength of the durable goods market than on the durability of your framing.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:00 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:20 pm How do you feel about the strength of the cleat glued to the top of the stringer sans dado?
I think it's also important to remember that you're an engineer and that I write business software, btw......I'm probably more qualified to comment on the strength of the durable goods market than on the durability of your framing.
Understood, but we're all in this hobbyist boat building game, and all moderately successful at it, so I value your opinion.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:52 am
Understood, but we're all in this hobbyist boat building game, and all moderately successful at it, so I value your opinion.
Appreciate that, ditto, and more than glad to provide it. so.......

Cleats glued to the sides of the stringers would provide resistance to lateral bending on their own, in space. The fillets, I think, will only provide bend-resistance because they are attached to the sole, so it's the joint with the sole(or your cleat) that will be resisting the lateral bending of the stringers. On the stringer-to-hull joint, we're using fillets and sizable bi-ax tape in place of cleats, which would probably resist a lot of bending in space, even if they weren't joined to the hull.

So I don't know what the correct answer is, but that's the way I view the question.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan answering from the page before on the strength of the cleats. Use 1 x 1.5 cleats epoxied to the stringers and frames and clamped in place as the epoxy dries. This will create a box frame and once you glue down the sole a solid box that will prevent twisting and bending. The cheapest way to make all the clamps you will need is to buy some 3" PVC and cut them in 1" pieces and cut out a small section 1" of each one. They will then spring apart and clamp over the 1 1/2" that you need to clamp.

Well good luck, you have a lot of cleats to cut and glue on. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

A few to glue, but I think the continuous pcs will reduce that work by a little.

Feels like a milestone. First piece of sole cut and fit!

Haters will say it's cheating, but I say it's efficient. 8)

Used a laser template system we use at work to shoot a template of the forward sole. We bought the system a few months ago for a specific project, but have been looking forward to using it on the boat ever since the day I ordered it.

Edges beveled as needed for a closer fit.

Need foam and some PVC run up forward before gluing it down.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

That's an awesome use of tech right there! Congrats on your first horizontal surface, must feel great to finally have somewhere to stand!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I may be asking a dumb question but why isn't the back edge sitting on Frame A.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:37 pm I may be asking a dumb question but why isn't the back edge sitting on Frame A.
Good observation. I think this is actually frame B.
I raised this forward portion 5/8”. This is basically the forward compartment floor. Frame B, above sole, will be up against the back edge of this section.

Tabbing to the forward face of above sole frame b will support this floor where it does not rest on framing. I think...

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Are you planning on cleating on the hull sides like you did in the front? I know it will be stronger, but my plans didn't call for it and I got lazy and didn't do it. I see some people do it and some don't. I'd be interested to hear what the designer says on this issue.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (4.58 KiB) Viewed 7241 times