C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Picked up some big jewelry from a local fabricator today.

Forward tan dropped right in the hole, aft tank well has some errant glass in the way that needs attention with a flapper wheel before the tank will set. 40 gallons total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice bling :D
And having two tanks sure gives you options.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hey looking good! What size motor are you planning on. A 115 will push you over 40, so maybe a 90? The way the lag time are on motors think on ordering early. One of the guys is still waiting and may not see it for another 2-3 months.

Love the C19's, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 pm Picked up some big jewelry from a local fabricator today.

Forward tan dropped right in the hole, aft tank well has some errant glass in the way that needs attention with a flapper wheel before the tank will set. 40 gallons total.
Those look awesome Dan, great milestone getting those done. I'm casually curious what drove the 2 tanks instead of 1 decision and how it works: are they in parallel, series, does one empty before the other starts drawing or are they drawn together?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:24 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 pm Picked up some big jewelry from a local fabricator today.

: are they in parallel, series, does one empty before the other starts drawing or are they drawn together?
I'll let you know when I figure it out. I envision independent lines from each tank to a valve on the uphill side of the fuel filter, mounted inside the transom. When it's time to switch tanks, switch the feed with the valve. I think it could be done without the motor knowing it switched.

Main compartment can only accommodate 24 gallon tank with comfortable clearance, which isn't enough in my opinion. The forward tank is 16. Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is 13 miles long, and an 18 mile run from my inlaws house. A little capacity will be comforting.
TomW1 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:52 pm Hey looking good! What size motor are you planning on. A 115 will push you over 40, so maybe a 90? The way the lag time are on motors think on ordering early. One of the guys is still waiting and may not see it for another 2-3 months.

Love the C19's, Tom
Thanks, Tom! 115 is what I have my eye on. Suzuki makes a 140 too. :D

I wish I was ready to order an engine, but my wife still needs some convincing.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:14 pm
I'll let you know when I figure it out. I envision independent lines from each tank to a valve on the uphill side of the fuel filter, mounted inside the transom. When it's time to switch tanks, switch the feed with the valve. I think it could be done without the motor knowing it switched.
Many fuel filters have 2 inputs(and ouputs). I put ball valves on each input and capped off the 2nd output on mine. For me the second input will just be for a portable tank, but you could do the same with 2 internals.
Imgur Album

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Thanks, Tom! 115 is what I have my eye on. Suzuki makes a 140 too. :D

I wish I was ready to order an engine, but my wife still needs some convincing.
A 90 HP FICHT Ram gave me about 27 kts on my C19. I think the 115 will be a good choice. Unless it weighs the same I would start to worry about the 140 being a little heavy.

Have you kept console in same place as plans?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I think the Suzuki 115 and 140 both weigh the same. The problem would be having enough self control to keep the speed down to a reasonable amount.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan let me run the numbers through my motor/prop calculators to see if the 140 or the 115 is the better choice for you. It will give you top speeds and the prop you will need with in one pitch if not right on. If you use PT Props they will exchange for $75. i know of one guy that spent $2000 on props before he got the right one. :lol: I know you are still you are still in the early stages of your build but you probably have an idea of how you are going to fit it out.

Any way here is what I need.

Boat hull: I will take from study plans and add 75lbs for builder inefficiency :lol: :D
Console: I will add 150 for this
Will you use hydraulics or standard steering. I have weights for both.
Lighting, wiring and electronics: I have a number for this.
People:
Gas:
Water if you have bait wells:
Coolers and Ice:
I have a number I add for fishing gear, safety gear, etc:
Miscellaneous: Anchor, rope, and anything that has not been included else where, I add a number here
Are you going to add a T-top or any other attachments I have not mentioned?

Well when you have the time do this it does not have to be done now. but I will be honest one of the builders I have done the calcs for on a Suzuki is looking has been waiting for 3 months and is looking at maybe another 2-3 months wait. Once you have decided on which motor, after I run the numbers, you may want I would order it, or buy it if in stock. There are ships sitting off California and it could be on one of them so he could get it sooner, hard to tell. Who knows?

Buy the way I love the C19 even had the wood to build it, but had the chance to buy Cracker Larry's OD18 at a great price and did it.

Regards, Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:34 pm I think the Suzuki 115 and 140 both weigh the same. The problem would be having enough self control to keep the speed down to a reasonable amount.
Fuzz a 115 powers the C19 in the low 40's at max and is very nice for the boat. JimW had nothing but good things to say about it with his C19. He took his C19 offshore Florida and to the Gulf Stream catching Marlin and Mahi Mahi. He still has it and did a repaint a few years ago. He was also the first one to build a C19. Sort of funny in getting ready for working up Dan's numbers the 140 weighs less than the 115. :lol:

Tom