C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 pm
Fuzz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:34 pm I think the Suzuki 115 and 140 both weigh the same. The problem would be having enough self control to keep the speed down to a reasonable amount.
Fuzz a 115 powers the C19 in the low 40's at max and is very nice for the boat. JimW had nothing but good things to say about it with his C19. He took his C19 offshore Florida and to the Gulf Stream catching Marlin and Mahi Mahi. He still has it and did a repaint a few years ago. He was also the first one to build a C19. Sort of funny in getting ready for working up Dan's numbers the 140 weighs less than the 115. :lol:

Tom
Thank you, Tom. I'll take you up the calcs when I get a little closer. Last time I checked, I think I recall the 140 as more thirsty than the 115 which might not be worth it.

I've picked Jim's brain quite a bit once we connected on FB. Great boat he's got there.

Tanks are in after minor surgery on some heavy glass that was in the way. Hence the dust...

Got the first 2 of the last 6 cleats in today.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:54 pm
TomW1 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 pm
Fuzz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:34 pm I think the Suzuki 115 and 140 both weigh the same. The problem would be having enough self control to keep the speed down to a reasonable amount.
Fuzz a 115 powers the C19 in the low 40's at max and is very nice for the boat. JimW had nothing but good things to say about it with his C19. He took his C19 offshore Florida and to the Gulf Stream catching Marlin and Mahi Mahi. He still has it and did a repaint a few years ago. He was also the first one to build a C19. Sort of funny in getting ready for working up Dan's numbers the 140 weighs less than the 115. :lol:

Tom
Thank you, Tom. I'll take you up the calcs when I get a little closer. Last time I checked, I think I recall the 140 as more thirsty than the 115 which might not be worth it.

I've picked Jim's brain quite a bit once we connected on FB. Great boat he's got there.

Tanks are in after minor surgery on some heavy glass that was in the way. Hence the dust...

Got the first 2 of the last 6 cleats in today.

I agree with you on the 115 a Yamaha 115 pushes JimW's C19 into the low 40's at max if you get into the upper 40's you will have to double up the fiberglass on the bottom. That should be plenty for you. And agree the fuel savings is not worth going for the extra HP. I'll run the numbers with the 140 just to see how much you gain out of curiosity, mine as much as yours. :lol: Dan you also be able to get a higher pitched prop with the 2.49 drive ratio of the Suzuki over the 2.15 of the Yamaha. This will increase your speed some. I will tell you what to get when I do the calcs.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan I lost a post to you. So here goes again. You need to turn that rear tank around badly. When you are on plane there may be 4" of gas at the back but only 1" at the front and it won't be long till it is sucking air. If it is at the back it will be able to pick up the gas for quite a while. The gas lines can be brought together after they passes through the frame. It doesn't matter if they are pointing port or starboard. You need to bring them together at some point to a y-valve so you can switch between the front and rear tank. I was going to hide mine behind a door in the console. Here is a y-vakve example:
https://www.amazon.com/Metaland-Brass-S ... =8-13&th=1

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

The pic of the tanks is taken from the bow. Forward tank is the smaller. Fill for the larger tank is forward, but the pick up is aft. Will that address the potential starvation issue?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Okay I am oriented now so definitely :D .

Tom

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Mandatory Sunday evening weekend progress post...

Done with cleats. Laminated the forward bent cleats in place using 4 layers of 1/4" thick fir.

Marked them for DWL while still in place, but brought them to the cluttered bench to plane them to the water line.

Easily glued/filleted them in pace once shaped.

Finally decided on a chase tube configuration. I've had too many people tell me to use larger tube than 2-1/2", so went with a run of 4", and customized the bell of the elbow to fit within the footprint of the console.

Funny, VT Jeff mentions over complicating things, which is exactly what I was thinking, heat gun in hand, pvc in a clamp, making it look like a urinal for her. I'm sure there is a better way, but I'm going with this. Will stilla have one 2-1/2" run going back on the port side just for fun.

Unrelated to the boat, I finished my wife's cutting table, and have been staying busy in our shop. Custom 1-1/2" round handrail returns for the end of a complicated commercial project. Honestly, without the epoxy knowledge gained over the last year and a half, we wouldn't have thought about gluing the return blanks up like this to be machined. Always learnin'!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Probably safe to park a small pickup truck on those cleats, those look nice and stout! The pvc looks straight out of a catalog, nice shaping.

That's a sweet desk! Cutting as in sewing etc or something else? You and narfi are leading the "keep the family happy during the build" awards!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Nice work Dan. Love the cutting board for the wife.

Tom

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

You should definitely patent the "Herinal" btw, you could be a modern day Thomas Crapper if you play your cards right.

:lol:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:21 am You should definitely patent the "Herinal" btw, you could be a modern day Thomas Crapper if you play your cards right.

That’s golden, Jeff.