Central FL OB15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Central FL OB15

Post by Capt UB »

The Chironex wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 pm Spent an hour or so today rounding edges and scuffing up epoxy. I’ll give it all a good sand with 100grit and then hose it off with the air compressor. About ready to start glassing.
I like to wipe down the hull first with water or alcohol (with a rag) to remove any blush or sweat before sanding or laying glass. One of the reasons I only use BBC's MarinEpoxy with the slow hardener, very little blush if any!!

The Chironex
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by The Chironex »

Got out in the garage and started rolling out the tape yesterday. Didn’t get a chance to apply any epoxy but it’s ready to go. Hopefully I can get rid of this kink in my neck so I can get this show on the road.
Attachments
30BE1C9E-3509-43DD-BDFF-9148B65847C5.jpeg

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Looks like it will be a nice clean tape job. Don't forget to pre-wet your wood before tape or any fiberglass goes down.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

The Chironex
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by The Chironex »

Reid wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:18 am Looks like it will be a nice clean tape job. Don't forget to pre-wet your wood before tape or any fiberglass goes down.

-Reid
Yeah I tried to make it easy on myself and lay it all out dry and make all my relief/fold cuts. I’ll roll them all back up and label them with some painters tape so they’ll be ready. Hehe I’ll be sure to pre wet :lol:

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

I figured that's what you were doing, I do the same thing.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I've had trouble with the tape sticking and pulling threads of glass off. Am I using the wrong kind of tape :doh:

Dougster

The Chironex
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by The Chironex »

Dougster wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 am I've had trouble with the tape sticking and pulling threads of glass off. Am I using the wrong kind of tape :doh:

Dougster
Yeah painters tape seems to work the best. Still pulls fibers but if you hold them together as you peel it, it won’t pull most of them.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

I marked the fiberglass tape with a sharpie. Really helped me lay the tape down.

Question for you,

is it only one layer of tape on the keel?

The Chironex
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by The Chironex »

Capt UB wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:54 pm I marked the fiberglass tape with a sharpie. Really helped me lay the tape down.

Question for you,

is it only one layer of tape on the keel?
Yeah I questioned that as well. 1 outside on the keel and 2 inside based off the lamination schedule.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Guys, lets ask Jacques!! I am confident you will have an answer today. Jeff