Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by gstanfield »

I'll bet that pup is jumping in enjoying the water before long, not worrying a bit about getting his paws wet!
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

gstanfield wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:00 pm I'll bet that pup is jumping in enjoying the water before long, not worrying a bit about getting his paws wet!
I just got his feet wet, literally, in our local creek yesterday, did not seem to mind at all. He seems like he's gonna be an awesome dog all the way around! Just got his last Lepto booster so we can actually start introducing him to some real water, now that it's 28 degrees!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:17 pm
gstanfield wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:00 pm I'll bet that pup is jumping in enjoying the water before long, not worrying a bit about getting his paws wet!
I just got his feet wet, literally, in our local creek yesterday, did not seem to mind at all. He seems like he's gonna be an awesome dog all the way around! Just got his last Lepto booster so we can actually start introducing him to some real water, now that it's 28 degrees!
Great to hear! (not the weather, I'm bummed with winter being here and tired of snow and sub zero temps already.)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

My updated plan for poling platform and console. Dan Smullen recommended Fusion 360 for modeling and I am totally addicted! Free for personal use. Took a bit to get the base concepts but really fun/powerful!
Attachments
PolingPlatform.JPG
PolingPlatform2.JPG
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looking good, Jeff.

Question for someone unfamiliar with this type of rig. I know the poling platform is to get you higher, obviously, but is it for the purpose of being able to see better down in the water by having a higher vantage point? When I lived and fished in shallows I was doing it all from an old aluminum John boat so the poling platform thing is something I have zero experience with.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

gstanfield wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:20 pm Great to hear! (not the weather, I'm bummed with winter being here and tired of snow and sub zero temps already.)
I hear that! I am very glad that I have a half-built boat( and a new pup) that will occupy a lot of my time and attention as the weather turns. Once the clocks turn, it's critical to have some indoor stuff to look forward to. Wife is turning her attention to baking and maybe learning fly tying now that fishing is turning off and ww kayaking is getting scarce.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

gstanfield wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:23 pm Looking good, Jeff.

Question for someone unfamiliar with this type of rig. I know the poling platform is to get you higher, obviously, but is it for the purpose of being able to see better down in the water by having a higher vantage point? When I lived and fished in shallows I was doing it all from an old aluminum John boat so the poling platform thing is something I have zero experience with.
Great question! I suspect that anyone else on the site could tell you more about poling platforms than I can. I believe the idea is improved visibility, and fishing for carp and bowfin on Lake Ontario has proven that height offers a real advantage. But as far as actual poling, never done it and not sure if height above deck provides a lot of benefit or if it's primarily about the visibility. Our thought when I started this build was to spend some time in FLA each spring with the RV and the skiff and learn how to redfish and maybe bonefish. My wife is newly-consumed with fly-fishing and obsessed with learning those species, amoung others. Now, with the world a little off it's axis, hard to tell how much time we'll be spending in Fla in the next few years but we can use the boat locally and in lake ontario, though the poling platform is admittedly a nice-to-have in the immediate. Fun to think about and design though!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The poling platform does provide height for aid in looking into the water and a vantage point for looking beyond the boat as well as providing some mechanical leverage for using the pole to push.

Poling is hard work and a light skinny skiff is better to pole than a heavy wide one.

Marsh hen hunting around my area is typically done with one person in the bow shooting and the person in the rear poling and scouting for birds from atop the poling platform.

The added height of the poling platform is also helpful on occasion to see over the spartina grass at low tide for navigation purposes as our daily tides range from 7 to 10 feet.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:20 pm My updated plan for poling platform and console. Dan Smullen recommended Fusion 360 for modeling and I am totally addicted! Free for personal use. Took a bit to get the base concepts but really fun/powerful!
Whoa! Looking good Jeff! Stoked Fusion is working for you!

All you need now is a cnc.

Bob D
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bob D »

Just wanted to add my name to the list of those following this thread VERY closely. I plan on building the same boat with much the same mods. You're just more organized and beat me to it. I anxiously await your progress posts and hope to learn from your experience. Looks fantastic so far.

Bob