Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

Aft sole is curing so moved back to the cockpit and drilled/routed the openings for the console sockets and the chase track. This is my first good look at how the console will mesh with the cockpit, outside of Fusion360. so far I'm happy with it.
Attachments
20201125_220032.jpg
20201125_220042.jpg
20201125_220037.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Made a quick & dirty under-deck support for the battery, which will be a jet ski battery. The aft sole is only 4mm so its kind of critical that its supported for all the bouncing it will endure on the trailer. It doubles as a spreader for the platform sockets.
20201126_091756.jpg
Got a second coat on the aft sole underside
20201126_091751.jpg
Glued in the tank feet. Once they cure I'll remove and stash the tank until install time.
20201126_091804.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Jeff, the boat looks great. Can I ask a stupid question, bearing in mind that I may have missed the answer and preempted it with "Stupid Question". Will the platform etc. be bonded in to the sockets you have created and sealed? I only ask this as I cant work out how they drain if they are open to water ingress at the top. As I say I may have missed this, but like the design idea hence asking. Happy Thanksgiving.
Alan.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:05 pm Hi Jeff, the boat looks great. Can I ask a stupid question, bearing in mind that I may have missed the answer and preempted it with "Stupid Question". Will the platform etc. be bonded in to the sockets you have created and sealed? I only ask this as I cant work out how they drain if they are open to water ingress at the top. As I say I may have missed this, but like the design idea hence asking. Happy Thanksgiving.
Very astute, Alan! I'd expect no less from the guy landing large planes in crosswinds. They wont drain, is the dirty secret. When the platform is out, I'll cap the sockets. When it's in, there will be minute ingress.l no getting around it. Along with the gas tank bilge which will also collect water and the chase track. they are expected to collect and hold a small amount of water until it either evaps or I draw it out manually. Measured compromise. I poured raw epoxy into both sockets to help seal them. The console will be sealed into its sockets so no moisture expected there.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Giving some serious thanks for time to work on the build lately! Got the aft sole in place after we placed a few keepsakes from our recently departed pup and imminently departing cat. Hoping there is not a screwdriver or tape measure in there as well.
Attachments
20201126_140719.jpg
20201126_144019.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Got most of the fore sole cleats in as well as the frame for the tank bilge
20201128_095829.jpg
Got the console sides trimmed down and drilled/located the helm support beam
20201128_152503.jpg
20201128_152725.jpg

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Wow, that looks really nice. I look forward to seeing it progress. Seems clever and well thought out.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice detail Jeff!!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dougster wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:48 am Wow, that looks really nice. I look forward to seeing it progress. Seems clever and well thought out.

Dougster
Appreciate that feedback, Dougster!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

It all looks great! Nice straight grain on the steering support.