Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:27 am That's a good trick with the deck of cards...I'll have to remember that one. I could have done a better stem template that way, I bet.

Thanks. I used the same technique to make the entire deck template for my driftboat and it worked perfectly, though I hadn't thought up the deck of cards yet: I was cutting up posterboard into small, playing-card-sized pieces.
Attachments
20190218_174913.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

gstanfield wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:03 pm Looking good!
Thank you!

I wet-out some of the 4oz this AM on my stern sole and it was not a good experience, I felt like a first-timer! The biggest issue was the fraying of the
edges. :help: I think I learned that I need to cut the pieces much more oversized and stay well clear of the edges while wetting out, then trim off the edges when it's green.

The other issues I had were with the new epoxy(MarinExpoy Fast: I have been using Silvertip Slow up till now) and the white pigment suspension I was adding. Added together, it made the epoxy feel pasty and the whole process feel a bit foreign to me and cause a little frustration and poor final results.

Good news is that I was doing this work in what will be an unseen area, under the stern deck, so it's a good place to make a mess, which I did, properly and completely. And now I know what the new epoxy feels like/works like and I'll be ready when I do the next piece.

Do you pre-glass your panels before installing?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:58 am
gstanfield wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:03 pm Looking good!
Thank you!

I wet-out some of the 4oz this AM on my stern sole and it was not a good experience, I felt like a first-timer! The biggest issue was the fraying of the
edges. :help: I think I learned that I need to cut the pieces much more oversized and stay well clear of the edges while wetting out, then trim off the edges when it's green.

The other issues I had were with the new epoxy(MarinExpoy Fast: I have been using Silvertip Slow up till now) and the white pigment suspension I was adding. Added together, it made the epoxy feel pasty and the whole process feel a bit foreign to me and cause a little frustration and poor final results.

Good news is that I was doing this work in what will be an unseen area, under the stern deck, so it's a good place to make a mess, which I did, properly and completely. And now I know what the new epoxy feels like/works like and I'll be ready when I do the next piece.

Do you pre-glass your panels before installing?
The frames I pre-glass mostly, but some panels I glass after install. With the very light glass it can be a challenge as they are definitely different than working with the heavier biaxial glass or even heavier woven. The process that works for me is like this:

~ Cut cloth to size, allowing about an inch extra on all sides.
~ Roll one coat of epoxy on panel, allow to sit until it's not runny, but still pretty sticky. The time will vary depending on temp, epoxy, hardener, etc.
~ Gently lay 4oz cloth on epoxy, repositioning as needed. This is where having it sticky helps, it's like laying down decals where the sticky holds them in place, but you can still reposition as long as you don't press down hard.
~ Once positioned where you want it roll a light coat of epoxy on top. Avoid the temptation to put it on too thick.
~ Use plastic spreader and "squeegee" the cloth, pushing it into the first layer of epoxy and getting it nice and even without air bubbles.

As to the pigments, I've never used pigments in epoxy so I have nothing to offer in that regard.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

gstanfield wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:39 am ~ Cut cloth to size, allowing about an inch extra on all sides.
~ Roll one coat of epoxy on panel, allow to sit until it's not runny, but still pretty sticky. The time will vary depending on temp, epoxy, hardener, etc.
~ Gently lay 4oz cloth on epoxy, repositioning as needed. This is where having it sticky helps, it's like laying down decals where the sticky holds them in place, but you can still reposition as long as you don't press down hard.
~ Once positioned where you want it roll a light coat of epoxy on top. Avoid the temptation to put it on too thick.
~ Use plastic spreader and "squeegee" the cloth, pushing it into the first layer of epoxy and getting it nice and even without air bubbles.
I'll go with this process next, much appreciated! I have a few more blind sections before I need to do my cockpit floor, so a few more chances to mess-up and learn.
gstanfield wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:39 am As to the pigments, I've never used pigments in epoxy so I have nothing to offer in that regard.
I'm going to do a batch without the pigment just so I'll know what the MarinEpoxy feels like on it's own, and then adjust from there. It should not be difficult.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

one thing on the squeegee... keep the edge smooth and clean or your glass gets pulled or moved. And then you have a real mess. One that temps you to get gasoline and matches. But maybe that is just me.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:00 pm one thing on the squeegee... keep the edge smooth and clean or your glass gets pulled or moved. And then you have a real mess. One that temps you to get gasoline and matches. But maybe that is just me.
I feel your rage!

Appreciate the tip, that may have been part of the issue.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:00 pm one thing on the squeegee... keep the edge smooth and clean or your glass gets pulled or moved. And then you have a real mess. One that temps you to get gasoline and matches. But maybe that is just me.
Good point that I forgot to mention. After 30 years of doing body work I just took it for granted that it was understood to use a good spreader!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

gstanfield wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:39 pm Good point that I forgot to mention. After 30 years of doing body work I just took it for granted that it was understood to use a good spreader!
30 years of body work? That is an insanely unfair advantage! These boats are 99% body work!

Buddy of mine who grew up in VT went to some technical college in Laramie Wy (I think it was Laramie) to study the automotive trade, specialty in body work. Probably around 1987. Runs a ski-tuning shop now.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:08 pm
gstanfield wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:39 pm Good point that I forgot to mention. After 30 years of doing body work I just took it for granted that it was understood to use a good spreader!
30 years of body work? That is an insanely unfair advantage! These boats are 99% body work!

Buddy of mine who grew up in VT went to some technical college in Laramie Wy (I think it was Laramie) to study the automotive trade, specialty in body work. Probably around 1987. Runs a ski-tuning shop now.
That would be WyoTech, the original before it was sold and went downhill. I also went there in the mid 90's, but grew up restoring cars with my dad in his shop. I've done body work as a primary job here and there, but have always done restoration work as a side even when not working in the industry full time.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Got the Mrs. to assist on the sole wet-out this morning.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201219-115059_Gallery.jpg