Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jeff wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:35 am Yes, that does appear to be some "light" remodeling!!! Jeff
Yup. Just some paint and updated appliances, its finished now. Ready for guests. We encourage guests to make alternative reservations in the event that our accommodations are not exactly what they were looking for.
Attachments
20201229_112150.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Got some decking loose fit. Painting the sole under the front decks was a bit of a disaster, going to postpone any further painting until spring.
Attachments
20210103_165259.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I bought my wife(Elaine) a "make your own jewelry" kit for Christmas. She got right to it and quickly churned out 40 pieces of bling by following some videos. When she opened the kit she said "He went to Orvis!"

There are only two seasons in Vermont: Fly fishing season and Fly tying season.
Attachments
20210103_183033.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Jeff!!!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Worked on the rod tubes this morning. Took a few iterations before I got the process a little wired so the port side isn't as clean as the starboard, but they'll work and will never be seen except in these photos.
Attachments
20210107_084431.jpg
20210107_084601.jpg
20210107_083706.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Got some wiring done while watching indy give the game away. Luckily I'm a Pat's fan. Go Buffalo!
Attachments
20210109_175720.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Started the stern deck. I had a hard time determining how to locate the hatch openings and came up with this: I clamp 2 nails on the inside of each of the 4 hatch frame sides, with just about a steenth proud of the frame top. I then drop the deck panel down using pre-drilled alignment pins. I run a 25lb weight over the whole surface to ensure that each nail marks the panel, then I pull the panel off and quite literally connect the dots. It's simple, quick and accurate.

No idea how others are doing it but this is def working for me.
Attachments
20210117_145838.jpg
20210117_145632.jpg

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Great idea!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:46 pm I clamp 2 nails on the inside of each of the 4 hatch frame sides, with just about a steenth proud of the frame top. I then drop the deck panel down using pre-drilled alignment pins. I run a 25lb weight over the whole surface to ensure that each nail marks the panel, then I pull the panel off and quite literally connect the dots. It's simple, quick and accurate.
I can follow what you are describing, but then I see what looks like a pencil clamped to a piece of wood- how does that come into play?
Hank

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

pee wee wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:49 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:46 pm I clamp 2 nails on the inside of each of the 4 hatch frame sides, with just about a steenth proud of the frame top. I then drop the deck panel down using pre-drilled alignment pins. I run a 25lb weight over the whole surface to ensure that each nail marks the panel, then I pull the panel off and quite literally connect the dots. It's simple, quick and accurate.
I can follow what you are describing, but then I see what looks like a pencil clamped to a piece of wood- how does that come into play?
That's a framing nail, 1 of 8 that will be used to mark the inside of each frame opening.