Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by joe2700 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:46 pm Started the stern deck. I had a hard time determining how to locate the hatch openings and came up with this: I clamp 2 nails on the inside of each of the 4 hatch frame sides, with just about a steenth proud of the frame top. I then drop the deck panel down using pre-drilled alignment pins. I run a 25lb weight over the whole surface to ensure that each nail marks the panel, then I pull the panel off and quite literally connect the dots. It's simple, quick and accurate.

No idea how others are doing it but this is def working for me.
It's common in lofting to put a nail on its side so the head is on the line you want to transfer. You tap this down so the head sinks in then you place the wood you want to transfer to on top and apply weight(can walk on it when lofting). It leaves a number of indents you connect same as your method, but requires no clamps. You could have done this down the centerline of your frames, and you know the offset ofter marking the centerline. Just an alternative for places you can't easily clamp.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

joe2700 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:46 pm Started the stern deck. I had a hard time determining how to locate the hatch openings and came up with this: I clamp 2 nails on the inside of each of the 4 hatch frame sides, with just about a steenth proud of the frame top. I then drop the deck panel down using pre-drilled alignment pins. I run a 25lb weight over the whole surface to ensure that each nail marks the panel, then I pull the panel off and quite literally connect the dots. It's simple, quick and accurate.

No idea how others are doing it but this is def working for me.
It's common in lofting to put a nail on its side so the head is on the line you want to transfer. You tap this down so the head sinks in then you place the wood you want to transfer to on top and apply weight(can walk on it when lofting). It leaves a number of indents you connect same as your method, but requires no clamps. You could have done this down the centerline of your frames, and you know the offset ofter marking the centerline. Just an alternative for places you can't easily clamp.

Good call! This would have been simpler and achieved the same results!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I have this nagging fear of my hatches warping. I want to lock them down without spending $66 /hatch on the fancy cam locks. Came up with this prototype. Will require a key(Phillip's head) but I can leave them unlocked when using the boat and lock them when its stored, is my thought.

Time will tell if its genius or ignoramus.
Attachments
20210127_200308.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Been working steady but progress is hard to measure. 1001 tiny tasks, a handful of big ones.

I got the stern deck glued down, another milestone in my eyes. With it, I've regained the sense that I may actually splash this boat, a feeling that waxes and wanes with the start and completion of major steps.
Attachments
20210202_182105.jpg
20210201_192433.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good progress Jeff!!! How cold it’s it in your area and did you get a bunch of snow?? Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:52 pm Good progress Jeff!!! How cold it’s it in your area and did you get a bunch of snow?? Jeff
Thanks jeff!

Just exiting a cold snap, back in the high 20s, feels balmy. Hard to measure the snow due to wind but theres probably 3 feet or more on the ground. We've been xcountry skiing along the river and hiking up/snowboarding down an old, closed ski area here in town, it's been great, the new pup is a snow machine! Thanks for asking, hope all is good in sunny Fla!

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:45 pm I have this nagging fear of my hatches warping. I want to lock them down without spending $66 /hatch on the fancy cam locks. Came up with this prototype. Will require a key(Phillip's head) but I can leave them unlocked when using the boat and lock them when its stored, is my thought.

Time will tell if its genius or ignoramus.
You can lock the hatches, but I'm probably going to steal this idea.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Too cold Jeff but it will be in the high 30’s tonight here in Florida!!!! Way too cold for us!!!! Stay warm, Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:17 pm Too cold Jeff but it will be in the high 30’s tonight here in Florida!!!! Way too cold for us!!!! Stay warm, Jeff
Watch out for falling iguanas! Are they around your parts or still too far north?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You are correct, we have some but not like Miami!!! Jeff