Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

This weekend I finally got around to forming the cockpit radiuss with the curved trim. Looks like all 4 trim pieces will work. This was one of the final steps before I can start painting the deck.
20210405_102149.jpg
20210405_102149.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 128887 times
I also started painting the under deck areas. This is totally backwards, should have been done before the deck went on, but it was just too cold for paint at that point and I'm too cheap to run the heat as long/high as was necessary. Definitely not going to earn myself a Seaslug with the appearance of these compartments, but...........oh well. Will give the most visible areas one more coat and call it done.
20210405_103242.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

lucastefanel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lucastefanel »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:35 am This weekend I finally got around to forming the cockpit radiuss with the curved trim. Looks like all 4 trim pieces will work. This was one of the final steps before I can start painting the deck.

20210405_102149.jpg

I also started painting the under deck areas. This is totally backwards, should have been done before the deck went on, but it was just too cold for paint at that point and I'm too cheap to run the heat as long/high as was necessary. Definitely not going to earn myself a Seaslug with the appearance of these compartments, but...........oh well. Will give the most visible areas one more coat and call it done.

20210405_103242.jpg
Really amazing job Jeff, working wood as you are doing is just art!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:35 pm Good way to get the whole family out at once.

Nice rig! A smallmouth guru I know in MD fishes out of one just like it, minus the pup deck.
Thanks Dan. Our goal is to do some serious whitewater/fly-fishing trips out west with this rig someday, hopefully soon. I've been whitewater kayaking/canoeing for many years (as you know) but the whole oar thing is a bit new still, lots to learn. Really fun though.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

lucastefanel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:13 am Really amazing job Jeff, working wood as you are doing is just art!
Appreciate it Luca, thanks for tuning in. I'm watching your aluminum CSX25 project with great interest also, incredible commitment required for something like that! Will be an amazing boat when finished.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

As recently discussed with some fellow fs14ls builders, I added a quick and dirty glass cap to the transom.
20210406_194906.jpg
Crude but should be effective.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Couple quick updates.

The fs14ls has a transom corner peculiarity: the deck corner ends up proud of the transom corner. Maybe not an issue if you're not going out of your way to overcomplicate the rubrails, but definitely an issue if you are. I made a quick
n dirty form to fill in the gap.
20210407_200234.jpg
And the result, with a little quickfair:
20210412_112211.jpg
I promised the wife I would make her some outdoor furniture, this is the design mockup:
20210412_112522.jpg
After playing around with it I decided to make it with a foam/vinyl cushion instead of slatted. It will pivot up into the "console" when not in use.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I like it!
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

+3
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fiddling with my foldup seat. Below is my current plan for supporting it when deployed. I'm not convinced it's the best option. Seems like a lot of leverage on some small areas. I'm thinking of maybe some side straps or front legs that stow/deploy by gravity. Open to ideas.
20210413_111833.jpg