Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:22 pm I was going to ask, what the heck is a "drip loop", but this response made it crystal clear. Never heard of such a thing and now I have learned something new.
As I consider this further, I have very minimal run going into the fuse box, to the point were condensation on the fuse box itself will probably generate as much moisture as anything coming down those wires, so I am going to do some serious not-worrying about it.

I've been knocking out micro-tasks while waiting for the weather to warm up enough to where I dare start painting the deck.

I got the steering arm hardware sorted out finally,
got a coat of epoxy on my guest seat frame,
got some fairing compound on my dashboard and one side of my console,
got my guest seat-back backer-board cut to the right shape(it will be upholstered)
put another coat of paint under the decks(not as worried about painting these areas in the cold)
got some ring terminals on the battery line
figured out how to retain the steering-worm sleeve on the "wrong" side of the helm(zip ties to the rescue)

Also, in a fit of insanity, I just ordered/paid for the plywood for my next build, picking it up Saturday in Boston. Will be building a glued-lapstrake row/sail boat somethig like what's shown below. I've had the book "How to build Glued Lapstrake Wooden Boats" on my nightstand for probably 6 years, maybe more, but it's only within the past year or so that it's started to actually feel feasible. My two SnG boats have done marvels for my confidence with the various processes involved to where I actually, finally feel like I can get it to completion. Plan is to start on that project in Sept or October but with the price/availability of plywood, figured I'd get it now and sit on it and not run the risk of a winter without a boat to build, a very very frightening thought. :help:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (544.09 KiB) Viewed 131427 times
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

This is the boat building equivalent of Babe Ruth calling his hit to left field. :lol:

If all the water is hard for a few months, I can see the importance of having a project or 10 in the works. No doubt she’ll be clean and refined when she comes together.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Buying the supplies for the next boat before the current one is done... you've got it bad bro!
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:48 am Buying the supplies for the next boat before the current one is done... you've got it bad bro!
SCORE!
Attachments
20210501_123834.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:22 am This is the boat building equivalent of Babe Ruth calling his hit to left field. :lol:

If all the water is hard for a few months, I can see the importance of having a project or 10 in the works. No doubt she’ll be clean and refined when she comes together.

Hilarious! Maybe I'll name the boat "Landsdowne Street"

and yes: long winters with unusable water and 4pm darkness requires careful coping plans!

My goal is very similar to the boat pictured: off white hull, bright stem/keel/transom, bright sheerstrake and bright interior. Hopefully oiled brightwork, time will tell.

Plywood is in hand, need to get some cherry closer to home for the backbone, some mdf for molds and away we go(in 6 months or so).

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:48 am Buying the supplies for the next boat before the current one is done... you've got it bad bro!
No argument. I've had less healthy addictions, never a more expensive one though.....

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Btw, I'm trying to reply to your PM's but they keep getting stuck in my outbox.
Last edited by bamaguy0 on Wed May 05, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Things move out of your PM outbox when the recipient reads the message. It’s like a read receipt but less intuitive. I would change the behavior if I could but... I can’t. Sorry.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Jaysen wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:00 pm Things move out of your PM outbox when the recipient reads the message. It’s like a read receipt but less intuitive. I would change the behavior if I could but... I can’t. Sorry.
Ohhhh i had no clue it worked like that! Good to know. Thanks Jaysen!

Ok so Jeff, I just look like a babbling idiot then! :lol:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:01 pm
Jaysen wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:00 pm Things move out of your PM outbox when the recipient reads the message. It’s like a read receipt but less intuitive. I would change the behavior if I could but... I can’t. Sorry.
Ohhhh i had no clue it worked like that! Good to know. Thanks Jaysen!

Ok so Jeff, I just look like a babbling idiot then! :lol:
I suspect everyone on here has been through the exact same exercise. I know I have!