Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

PapaDave wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:13 pm Looking wonderful Jeff. The final sprint always seems to take a lot of time but the to do list is getting near the end for you. Really looking forward to seeing you on the water with your family and sporting a big smile. Keep the momentum rolling!
Dave
Thanks a lot Dave, appreciate the encouragement and will most def post some pics of splash day!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Opinions sought on size/positioning/color/etc for boat name before I order the letters. I'm really a bit at a loss.

The boat is oyster white/largo blue with some DougFir trim. I'm so far thinking silver with black shadow but I'm really indecisive on it. Also really not sure how far forward back, and how high/low to put the decal.

If I can't decide on something I'm really happy with I may just forgoe the name altogether, which would be a shame since a friend spent a fair amount of time developing that custom font for me from an Allman Brothers album. I'm a bit of a fan of that band, that song, and of blue skies in general.

BoatName-0604.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Most boats in this area have the name up close to the bow. But I am not sure there is a bad place to put the name.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:55 pm Most boats in this area have the name up close to the bow. But I am not sure there is a bad place to put the name.
I thought the “proper location” was on the transom over the port of origin. Other locations are just out of convenience for other to hail over the radio.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I think most of us put the name on the rear sides since we use outboard motors. I know that is where mine are and a lot of the other boats I have seen have been. In most states they require that the numbers and license be on the bow on each side so that sort of blows that. For the 14 LS I would say no more than 6" or they will be in the water. :lol: Really just measure the distance between the rail and water line and decide on a height you would like and decide where it would look good, cut out some paper letters and tape them to the side. Depending on the length of the name and since it is the FS14 I would probably start about a foot from the transom.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:06 pm
Fuzz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:55 pm Most boats in this area have the name up close to the bow. But I am not sure there is a bad place to put the name.
I thought the “proper location” was on the transom over the port of origin. Other locations are just out of convenience for other to hail over the radio.
I am pretty sure you are correct Jaysen. Transom, port and starboard bow are what you see on documented vessels.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I think scooting it back maybe 1/4-1/2 of the distance to the transom would be good.

Also if the goal is for it to be shown completely and to maximize it's size, you might wanna hold off and take some tape with you on her first splash. Mark it in the water so you know how she sits.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jeff all of us can suggest positions till we are blue in the face and it won't do you any good. Just cut out some paper that is a size you think you would be happy with and tape it to the side. If that does not rattle your chimes move it and try again. You will eventually find a place or give up. My favorite is some where from center of the boat back, but that is me. I don't know how much free board you have between the water line and the rail, but figure out what size lettering would look good between them and use that for your test paper cut out whether it be 7-9". Then just cut the paper to the length of the lettering you will have.

That is all I can suggest to you to help you make a decision. Yea it means a little work on your part but it will be worth it.

Take care guy and good luck. You are the one who has to be happy, Not any one here.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Ok, I'm going to pull it back towards the transom and try centering it in the blue strip, all of which should be well out of the water. Transom doesnt really work and it's not going to be documented so theres no requirements.

There are no boats like this around southern vt or lake ontario so I figured I'd let the people who see them weigh in on the topic. I dont want to get it to FL at some point and find out I've made some embarrassing faux pas that's going to have the locals snickering at the boat ramp. Like wearing white after labor day or whatever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got the blow boat splashed. I let the yard clean/wax/bottom paint it out of pure generosity and not because I was feeling lazy. Safe to say they did a much better job than I ever did on it, it looks really good.
20210605_214451.jpg
20210605_214535.jpg
20210605_214512.jpg
20210605_094320.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My condolences for having a boat registered in NY.

What is she again? My eyeball-ID-foo is questionable even when the maker and model are printing in day glow pink.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.