Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

The fence moved, plank wasted. Take II coming up.
Attachments
20210213_181544.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

What happened Jeff? Catastrophic failure?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:42 pm What happened Jeff? Catastrophic failure?
I spent some considerable time ensuring the plank would stay tight to the fence, tight to the deck, level on indeed and outfeed side. Halfway through the cut, I realized the fence was not gripping, so instead of a parallel cut, I got a wavy taper. Pricey lesson but not the end of the world.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

That's a pretty extravagant setup. Whatcha making?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 pm That's a pretty extravagant setup. Whatcha making?
Rubrail brightwork. The idea is to rip that plank in half, then resaw the halves with the tablesaw, then scarf the quaters for length, then glue them on. If the photos of my completed boat feature a plastic rubrail, you'll know that things didnt improve.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Ahhh. I see.

Yeah. Not even gonna try for pretty on that. Already planning for a Taco Marine rubrail on the outside of mine.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Brightwork is the meth of boatbuilding...you experiment with it once, and suddenly you can't stop and it wrecks your life. You burn money and relationships in the pursuit of artful grains, rich wood tones and matched halves.

I'm pretty sure I've never built a boat that didn't end up with a bunch of brightwork that I later kicked myself for doing but I can never stop myself, either. It's too pretty.

Good luck on the next cut!
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:19 am Brightwork is the meth of boatbuilding...
I'll assume you know what you're talking about but personally, to-date, to-my-knowledge, I have never, actually experimented with...brightwork.

;)

You nailed it on all points, CR, that was hilarious.

My driftboat(oh, did I mention that I previously built a driftboat? no? really? I'm sure I must have mentioned it....) has bright 'wales and most of the interior is bright save for the sole and a 2" rand up the sides. Makes a HUGE difference in the asthetics, IMO. A lot of guys leave their driftboats completely bright but as I've debated on other threads, contiguous square yards of bright plywood is not my cup of tea.

My last sailboat(Leisure 22, very aptly named for it's pace of sail) had bright rubrails which always made me scratch my head a bit. "Why the !@#$ would they put brightwork in the one place where it is GUARANTEED to get beat up?". I'm going to pay that little mystery forward on my own boat, and let the nephew/niece who wrestles the FS14LS from my cold, dead hands ponder the same question.

Anyway, blame Seaslug, he started it with the walnut. And then Coach piled on with his Ash. Bad influences!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

HA!

I'm in need of new "bright" components. I started looking up teak and mahogany and mentioned it to the boss lady. When I woke up a bit later she calmly pointed at the various places the she has requested be painted around the house. I got the message. Now I need some aspirin.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:47 am HA!

I'm in need of new "bright" components. I started looking up teak and mahogany and mentioned it to the boss lady. When I woke up a bit later she calmly pointed at the various places the she has requested be painted around the house. I got the message. Now I need some aspirin.
:lol:

Right there with you! Last night my wife got a splinter from the living room floor. Once we got it mostly out, I was like "Ok, I really need to do some sanding/smoothing..........on my BOAT, SEE YA!"