Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

Far less fun and exciting than hand cutting dovetails is repairing transom paint where I was careless with dripping epoxy.

The entire deck and cockpit still need to be painted so these repairs are very literally a drop in the bucket. I also needed to extend the paint over the corner caps I made so some transom painting was inevitable even without the mess ups.
20210418_091117.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Nice touch as always, Jeff. The dovetail would not have remained relevant if it were not the best joint for some applications. I think the wood flour in the seam will too be a nice detail.

Aren't you shooting at a June completion guestimate?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:10 pm Nice touch as always, Jeff. The dovetail would not have remained relevant if it were not the best joint for some applications. I think the wood flour in the seam will too be a nice detail.

Aren't you shooting at a June completion guestimate?
July 4th is my drop- dead date, gives me may and june to paint the deck. I know some guys would have it done in a weekend. I ain't them.

Elaine snagged this hawg of a 'bow on our local, stocked tailwater. On a bugger she tied this winter. Best. Wife. Ever.

Bow, our pup, seems to love 'bows as much as we do! Normally he's a lean-jetted 2 stroke with a high idle but for reasons unknown, he really settles down on a float trip, which is flipping outstanding! Great day!
Attachments
20210418_180923.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:10 pm Nice touch as always, Jeff. The dovetail would not have remained relevant if it were not the best joint for some applications. I think the wood flour in the seam will too be a nice detail.
Thanks, as always! There was a period when I was pumping these nightstands out and was considering turning it into a part-time money-losing venture. Very fun but after number 11 or 12 the itch was thoroughly scratched.
Attachments
20210418_182408.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:20 pm Normally he's a lean-jetted 2 stroke with a high idle but for reasons unknown, he really settles down on a float trip, which is flipping outstanding!
I’ve got one of those too! Still trying to get mine properly adjusted to boat life. Any tips.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:32 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:20 pm Normally he's a lean-jetted 2 stroke with a high idle but for reasons unknown, he really settles down on a float trip, which is flipping outstanding!
I’ve got one of those too! Still trying to get mine properly adjusted to boat life. Any tips.
I wish I could take some credit/offer advice but it's just how he is, incredibly! We bring a ton of treats and kongs and bully sticks but he mostly likes to just look around.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:41 pm
I wish I could take some credit/offer advice but it's just how he is, incredibly! We bring a ton of treats and kongs and bully sticks but he mostly likes to just look around.
The time Mary has been on a moving boat she pulls the
Spirit of Ecstasy routine underway. I’m hoping she’s just irritated that we haven’t untied from the dock.
19C4A974-9D4E-4407-8E3E-9347BEEF285B.jpeg
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:49 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:41 pm

The time Mary has been on a moving boat she pulls the
Spirit of Ecstasy routine underway. I’m hoping she’s just irritated that we haven’t untied from the dock.

19C4A974-9D4E-4407-8E3E-9347BEEF285B.jpeg

She looks stoked!

Our pup has only been on small boats so far, sailboat will be another experience, hopefully in May, I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good lucking pup!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That is a great picture of the wife, pup and Bow! I enjoy catching them around here but always let them go. I am not a big fan of how the are to eat.