Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by bamaguy0 »

I shifted my Frame B by about 8" if I recall because of my console.

I followed the guidelines of max spacing between frames and didn't violate that.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:57 pm
bamaguy0 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:41 pm Hey Jeff on the transom edge fiberglass did you wrap it around or just directly on top?
I just laid it on top. I didnt want to create a new fairing adventure. I left all the edges wide and once the epoxy cured I trimmed it, sanded the edges smooth and then applied some epoxy to the edges with a gloved finger to seal them.
Gotcha, thanks. I had a moment of panic last night thinking I needed to do that before the flip, but then I remembered I was gonna paint the transom short so I can fair that in later once I put in the deck and motorwell.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:18 am I shifted my Frame B by about 8" if I recall because of my console.

I followed the guidelines of max spacing between frames and didn't violate that.
Great planning. 8" would be plenty if that's the max allowable change.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Vt_Jeff don't sweat the drip loops. Instead tie some string at where the loop would have been and the moisture will follow the string down. Old sailors trick. :D

Boat is looking great!!!

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Vt_Jeff don't sweat the drip loops. Instead tie some string at where the loop would have been and the moisture will follow the string down. Old sailors trick. :D
I was going to ask, what the heck is a "drip loop", but this response made it crystal clear. Never heard of such a thing and now I have learned something new.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:22 pm
I was going to ask, what the heck is a "drip loop", but this response made it crystal clear. Never heard of such a thing and now I have learned something new.
Good practice for power cords coming off an aquarium also. Basically anywhere electricity and water mix you want the water to go to a low spot that isn't a connection.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Something I would differently in hindsight: if adding any type of console/seat, I would move Frame B forward by about 12" to open up a little leg room. This may mean a floor frame where B is now and a new "false" frame at the front of the cockpit, or whatever the design details turn out to be. But we have, in our case, acres of front deck while legroom in the cockpit is super tight. This is a +10% already so I guess I'm really starting to bend the intended design, admittedly. "Plans were meant to be changed" as they say.
Yeah, I'm skipping it altogether and reducing the cockpit size back to the grab rail location. My version is standard % and I couldn't see any legroom at all or any real usefulness of that space - the way I fish anyway. On the few occasions where I have a passenger, they'll be sitting on a cooler on the deck - and yelling at me to slow down :D . I imagine it'll be like riding on a giant surfboard at 25 knots :help:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:34 pm Vt_Jeff don't sweat the drip loops. Instead tie some string at where the loop would have been and the moisture will follow the string down. Old sailors trick. :D

Boat is looking great!!!

Tom
Good idea Tom, thanks!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:33 pm On the few occasions where I have a passenger, they'll be sitting on a cooler on the deck - and yelling at me to slow down :D . I imagine it'll be like riding on a giant surfboard at 25 knots :help:
Man, I just hope my boat will go anywhere near 25knots, screaming passenger be damned!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I'd take 25 knots. Not much more than that, though.

I do plan on retuning my 25hp to 30!