Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:55 am
bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:52 am Thanks! That's a good point with the transom. I have a tilt n trim bracket that I'm installing so that will add an additional moment arm to the weight of the motor on the transom.
Yeah, not to reinvent the wheel, but I'm wondering if a flexible fill is the way to go there. Walking around the marina, I see glass boats with stress-cracks at the transom/deck joint.
I doubt the paint will be flexible enough to follow it even if the fill was. I'll do some digging.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:00 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:55 am
bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:52 am Thanks! That's a good point with the transom. I have a tilt n trim bracket that I'm installing so that will add an additional moment arm to the weight of the motor on the transom.
Yeah, not to reinvent the wheel, but I'm wondering if a flexible fill is the way to go there. Walking around the marina, I see glass boats with stress-cracks at the transom/deck joint.
I doubt the paint will be flexible enough to follow it even if the fill was. I'll do some digging.
My thought was to just dremel out the transom crack and back-fill with a bead of 4200 or 5200(can never keep those straight) and no paint, it will not really stand out on my boat with the oyster white.

BTW, I have really come around to liking the Oyster White, a lot: I thought it was way too beige in the light of my basement but it's actually a really nice, cool (as in temperature, if a color can have a temperature) off-white. Very glad I decided against re-painting with a pure white.

Also, with my non-skid, the white deck is not a glare issue at all and stays quite cool on the feet/paws even when it's stupid hot out.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Oh I follow. That makes sense.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I am struggling to follow the issue and solution here....

The deck to transom joint is cracked? or just the paint?
What was the original layup like?

Cleat epoxied to transom, deck epoxied to cleat, thickened epoxy fillet in joint, fiberglass tape over fillet, fairing(none, little or a lot) then paint?

If you have a good layer of glass tape, I don't know why it is cracking.... maybe sand back and lay in a couple layers of 12oz tape over the joint to strengthen any potential weakness?

(I don't think epoxy or glue are strong enough for joints, you need the strength of glass...... but that's just my 'feelings', I don't really know.....)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:20 am I am struggling to follow the issue and solution here....

The deck to transom joint is cracked? or just the paint?
What was the original layup like?

Cleat epoxied to transom, deck epoxied to cleat, thickened epoxy fillet in joint, fiberglass tape over fillet, fairing(none, little or a lot) then paint?

If you have a good layer of glass tape, I don't know why it is cracking.... maybe sand back and lay in a couple layers of 12oz tape over the joint to strengthen any potential weakness?
Good quesions Narfi.

There is about no fillet on that joint. I can't for the life of me say what I was thinking on that joint but it appears that it was a total brain-fart, one of a few so far. I don't have any photos to see exactly what I did with the glass there. Seems odd since I was perpetually concerned with the transom coming off.

I think you're right about taking it back, adding some biax tape over a good fillet and re-fairing. Small job in the scheme of things. For the now, going to use some flexible stuff to seal the crack.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Your transom extends above the deck as well where mine will be flush and slightly below at the motor.

I'll have my own set of problems, but the story is clear...be sure of your tie ins there.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:59 am Your transom extends above the deck as well where mine will be flush and slightly below at the model.

I'll have my own set of problems, but the story is clear...be sure of your tie ins there.
I probably never thought of that joint as overly-structural since many boats don't even have a rear-deck to tie into, quick example here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61397&start=110

So I probably got lazy(recurring theme with me) and just concerned myself with a clean joint and didn't consider the ramifications of the transom flexing.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:08 am

So I probably got lazy(recurring theme with me) and just concerned myself with a clean joint and didn't consider the ramifications of the transom flexing.

Laziness is not the culprit with a guy who has more than one boat build and several project boats under his belt, with more in the future. I don't buy it.

I think the biax tape back there will make all of your problems go away and leave you confident once again, that your transom is not going to fall off. Probably...

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep if you don't have tape on the tape on the transom, put some on the joints along the bottom and the sides, No more flex. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:01 pm Yep if you don't have tape on the tape on the transom, put some on the joints along the bottom and the sides, No more flex. :D

Tom
So in defense of my omission, I'd like the record to reflect the fact that the plans definitely do not call for any glass on the deck or on that joint. Doesnt mean it's not a good idea, but not specified. So I suspect it is not intended to be a transom-holding joint.

That said, I'll be adding some biax on a fillet. At some point......