Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:22 am Fiddling with my foldup seat. Below is my current plan for supporting it when deployed. I'm not convinced it's the best option. Seems like a lot of leverage on some small areas. I'm thinking of maybe some side straps or front legs that stow/deploy by gravity. Open to ideas.

20210413_111833.jpg
I love what you're doing with the seats. It's a classic outdoor furniture look! Teak would be nice, and less splintery than fir.

It's a tough ask to support a seat like that on dry land, nevermind skipping across the water. I wonder if something like this would work, with the horizontal stretcher continuous between the uprights. Stainless pin from McMaster for the pivot.

Fusion will be helpful sorting out the geometry.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:05 pm
It's a tough ask to support a seat like that on dry land, nevermind skipping across the water. I wonder if something like this would work, with the horizontal stretcher continuous between the uprights. Stainless pin from McMaster for the pivot.
Interesting thought Dan, I had not considered a stretcher.

But, it's still going to concentrate the weight into a few square inches. I think I really need some better geometry/angles. I think that some swing down legs are going to be the ultimate solution so I'm going to go straight there, contrary to my usual "what's the absolute longest path between the problem and solution" approach. That way I'll be less worried about the Mrs. falling on her a$$ when we hit a wake. Not that it wouldn't be hilarious, it would, cause I could say "Told you not to eat all those Newmans Cheese Squares" and then I wouldn't really remember anything after that. :help:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

Make the "hinge" ride in a slot, and use a stretcher from the front edge of the seat to a point on the upright. So when folded, the hinge point moves downward and the front of the seat moves in. That way, your stretchers can be the same length.

Edited to add: https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/parke ... h-aluminum

Here's the mechanism I think might work best.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:51 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:05 pm
That way I'll be less worried about the Mrs. falling on her a$$ when we hit a wake. Not that it wouldn't be hilarious, it would, cause I could say "Told you not to eat all those Newmans Cheese Squares" and then I wouldn't really remember anything after that. :help:
Worse than being killed by your wife will watching your beautiful work break. Precautions best taken.

Don't be tempted by the simple path. Anyone can take that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Marshall Moser wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:32 pm Make the "hinge" ride in a slot, and use a stretcher from the front edge of the seat to a point on the upright. So when folded, the hinge point moves downward and the front of the seat moves in. That way, your stretchers can be the same length.

That's pretty slick Marshall. I like how the supports double as arms. appreciate the input!

Immediate plan is to use swing down legs that will nest in the seat when stowed and deploy via gravity. Gives me the most support bang for the buck/best geometry. I'm re-making the frame out of Doug Fir, the seat will have a foam/vinyl cushion and will inset in the frame.

The "slatted" seat idea was not working: that design really needs the slats to overhang the frame by a decent margin and I just don't have room for that.

If all goes to plan*******, the seat frame and legs will be bright-finished, matching the rub rails and cockpit trim. Everything else(meaning the console itself) will be painted oyster white like the hull/deck. I'm going to add a back rest, also vinyl over foam, and possibly a leg cushion that will wrap the deck edge in front of the seat, which I hope will give the whole thing a bit of a "lounge" chair look, we'll see.

Clearly this passenger seat will take longer and cost more than the rest of the boat combined, and will likely never get used, but it's an itch I need to scratch for whatever reason.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:47 pm

Clearly this passenger seat will take longer and cost more than the rest of the boat combined, and will likely never get used, but it's an itch I need to scratch for whatever reason.

None of us would be here if we wanted to take the easy route. Build on, Jeff.

If we only get to do this once, it will be a shame to not put all of our vision into it.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Some creative stuff going on around here. Very nice.

For some reason, I’m no longer getting automatic update messages - gotta check into that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Take 3 on the guest seat frame. I thought it would be fun to add some dovetails to the mix since the frame will be bright. Been a while since I did any of that but the magic of epoxy and wood flour will help hide any rust.

Still lots to do but the hard parts are in the can.
20210417_104422.jpg

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:47 pm
Marshall Moser wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:32 pm Make the "hinge" ride in a slot, and use a stretcher from the front edge of the seat to a point on the upright. So when folded, the hinge point moves downward and the front of the seat moves in. That way, your stretchers can be the same length.

That's pretty slick Marshall. I like how the supports double as arms. appreciate the input!

Immediate plan is to use swing down legs that will nest in the seat when stowed and deploy via gravity. Gives me the most support bang for the buck/best geometry. I'm re-making the frame out of Doug Fir, the seat will have a foam/vinyl cushion and will inset in the frame.

The "slatted" seat idea was not working: that design really needs the slats to overhang the frame by a decent margin and I just don't have room for that.

If all goes to plan*******, the seat frame and legs will be bright-finished, matching the rub rails and cockpit trim. Everything else(meaning the console itself) will be painted oyster white like the hull/deck. I'm going to add a back rest, also vinyl over foam, and possibly a leg cushion that will wrap the deck edge in front of the seat, which I hope will give the whole thing a bit of a "lounge" chair look, we'll see.

Really like the way it's shaping up! But holy cow is that bolded sentence ever relatable.

"I'm basically done, I just had this simple idea to bright finish this one little spot and have a flip-up lid for a radio..."

NINE MONTHS AND $27000 LATER "finally satisfied with the finish, but don't really like having the radio under a lid so may scrap it."

That's such a perfect encapsulation of the boatbuilding experience, it's basically a conceptual haiku.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:53 am
That's such a perfect encapsulation of the boatbuilding experience, it's basically a conceptual haiku.
Glad you support the impractical aspects of boat building as much as I do! It ain't "messing about in boats" without some measure of messing.

These may not pass the muster in Shaker country, but I'm putting them in the W column.
20210418_085622.jpg