Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by TomW1 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:37 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:38 pm You’ll figure out the clamping. Part looks great! Grain look good against the solid stock?
Grain does not really match. Not sure if I'm bothered enough to do anything about it, we'll see.
Jeff it is hard to match grain even from the same tree unless you request matching veneer, then it gets expensive. Unless they are going to be side by side I don't think I would worry about it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:18 pm Unless they are going to be side by side I don't think I would worry about it.
They will actually be in series: the inside of my cockpit rim will have trim running all the way around it. For the corners, which are radius 3", I'm making the bent lam inside radius parts from doug fir veneers I ordered, 8-9 layers stacked up and then bent as you can see above. The straight runs will use solid vert-grain doug fir stock that i already have. So the solid stock will be running directly into the veneers on each side of each corner, joined by a simple 45 degree scarf.

So the difference in grain will make it quite obvious that it is not a continuous piece running the straights and the curves, which isn't the end of the world, but this is all purely aesthetic to begin with, so getting it aesthetically right is definitely worth some consideration, time will tell exactly how much.

As I mentioned, I could "cheat" and veneer the faces of the straight runs, though something about this doesn't sit quite right, unsure exactly what.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:37 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:38 pm You’ll figure out the clamping. Part looks great! Grain look good against the solid stock?
Grain does not really match. Not sure if I'm bothered enough to do anything about it, we'll see.
I wouldn't let it bother you. You'll be the only one who ever thought about it.

Longer form and longer parts might make it easier to blend things together.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:57 pm I wouldn't let it bother you. You'll be the only one who ever thought about it.
You are absolutely most likely correct. Absolutely no one but me notices any of the details I slaved over on the drift boat :(. Luckily this works the other way and no one notices the errors either. :)

I'd like to darken the fir but know that epoxy doesn't bond well over oil stains, any experience in this department/recommendations?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:05 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:57 pm I wouldn't let it bother you. You'll be the only one who ever thought about it.
You are absolutely most likely correct. Absolutely no one but me notices any of the details I slaved over on the drift boat :(. Luckily this works the other way and no one notices the errors either. :)

I'd like to darken the fir but know that epoxy doesn't bond well over oil stains, any experience in this department/recommendations?
Sorry sir. None whatsoever.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Bend... steam is your friend. Make a small steam chamber and make it happen.

Color... alcohol stain. Look into shellac based finishes. The stains can be applied separately. To get penetration you increase the alcohol content.

My old school woodworking comes in handy.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:35 pm Bend... steam is your friend. Make a small steam chamber and make it happen.

Color... alcohol stain. Look into shellac based finishes. The stains can be applied separately. To get penetration you increase the alcohol content.

My old school woodworking comes in handy.
I considered steam but bending 1/4" stock to R3 with basically 0 run rate with steam bending isn't filling me with confidence. Not ruling it out but going to run the glue-lam route for now.

I'll checkout the alcohol stain idea, that's new to me.

Here's take 2 on the bent lam glue-up with longer pieces and a tighter jig.
Attachments
20210317_185430.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VTJ, the steam route will make all bends easier. With the glue up route it reduces the strain on the parts being laminated. If you steam long enough you can bend some pretty thick pieces.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:06 pm VTJ, the steam route will make all bends easier.
The laminated veneers bend effortlessly without steam, the challenges come later in making use of the part, but I think a few iterations will get the kinks worked out.

I did find this related to S3 epoxy over stain, which is easing my mind a bit about darkening the fir.
20210317_191832.jpg
I also read that West Systems tested a bunch of stains for adhesion. Minwax oil failed but just about everything else passed with 4 day cure of the stain. Of course I have quarts of minwax oil on my shelf, though probably 20 years old. Amazing how you buy stain, put it on the shelf, and the next time you reach for it its 20 years old. Scary.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:23 pm
Jaysen wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:06 pm VTJ, the steam route will make all bends easier.
Of course I have quarts of minwax oil on my shelf, though probably 20 years old. Amazing how you buy stain, put it on the shelf, and the next time you reach for it its 20 years old. Scary.
My dad probably used 10 gallons of Minwax "Ipswich Pine" when I was growing up. :lol: :lol:
Several cans still on a shelf somewhere I'm sure. Pretty sure I've bought more than I've used too.

Carry on, Jeff. You'll be in good shape with the longer ends. Looks good!