Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:24 pm Woah! Wasn't even planning to attempt that myself. Might change my mind after I call around for quotes.

Few years back I was trying to fix up a '77 280Z and was going to reupholster the seats myself, but I at least had something to go by. That project was abandoned at a major loss when I moved from Alabama to Florida.
Too bad about the Z. There is one here in town that's pretty nice, modernized a bit. If I was gonna do a car, it would be a late 70's Toyota 4x4. May yet!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:16 pm
bamaguy0 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:24 pm Woah! Wasn't even planning to attempt that myself. Might change my mind after I call around for quotes.

Few years back I was trying to fix up a '77 280Z and was going to reupholster the seats myself, but I at least had something to go by. That project was abandoned at a major loss when I moved from Alabama to Florida.
Too bad about the Z. There is one here in town that's pretty nice, modernized a bit. If I was gonna do a car, it would be a late 70's Toyota 4x4. May yet!
It was a learning experience. I learned rust repair was not for me!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Getting vaxxed wont save you from the need to mask in my workshop!
20210531_174907.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Now that's clean. How'd you cut the radii in the tape?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:09 pm Now that's clean. How'd you cut the radii in the tape?
Thanks. It's not as clean as it looks in the photos but the non-skid will be the same color as the deck so small imperfections shouldn't matter.

I used a variety of objects for radius templates, marked the radius on the tape with a pencil, and then used an exacto knife to cut along the line. Had my best results when I didnt try to get the cut to flow: short cuts with my palm on the deck, turning slightly after each jab. Short like a few mm per jab. This kept me on the line. It took about 7 hours start to finish for the whole mask, but none of it was difficult so the time flew. I need a lot more grit for this method, only got one lb. and could not do a whole coat with it. In this method, you put on a coat, load it with grit, let it dry, then sweep off the excess and repeat. Takes a lot of grit to load it properly, at least for me.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Oh OK, so you're cutting with the tape in place? I was nervous about that because I wouldn't want to cut into the paint. Will you do a final coat with straight paint?

That's interesting on the application process. I think I saw that somewhere...what's the reason to do it that way over just mixing the grit into the paint?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:33 pm Oh OK, so you're cutting with the tape in place? I was nervous about that because I wouldn't want to cut into the paint. Will you do a final coat with straight paint?

That's interesting on the application process. I think I saw that somewhere...what's the reason to do it that way over just mixing the grit into the paint?
I'm definitely cutting into the paint but those cuts are immediately getting refilled with paint when I coat it so I'm not too worried. Theres a layer of glass and epoxy so I'm not getting near the wood.

I read good things about this method over adding the grit to the paint and I liked the idea. I did it the other way with my driftboat and it didnt turn out well at all, but it may have been user error. I wanted this deck really gritty for the dog and this seemed like the best bet, time will tell and I'll keep you posted, literally.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:33 pm Oh OK, so you're cutting with the tape in place? I was nervous about that because I wouldn't want to cut into the paint. Will you do a final coat with straight paint?

For the hinge radii, I can see where you could precut the tape and then put it on the deck. But for all the corners, I cant see it, it would be a real chore imo.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:49 pm

For the hinge radii, I can see where you could precut the tape and then put it on the deck. But for all the corners, I cant see it, it would be a real chore imo.
No I totally agree. That's what I was dreading!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:54 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:49 pm

No I totally agree. That's what I was dreading!
Btw, this is the Z I mentioned. I tend to prefer more original looking stuff but I really dig this for whatever reason. Actually not sure if it's a 260 or 280.
20210531_220316.jpg