C17 in New Zealand.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17 in New Zealand.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Took the boat trailer to the galvaniser today. Actually I took it yesterday then took it back to grind out a bullock nut :x Got the frame off and on a hire trailer with help from the kids. Charge is by the kilo works out to a little less than $1US a pound.

I’m only doing the frame, rollers will be new and I’ll use POR15 on the axle and hubs. Springs will be dealt with as best I can. Lanocote mainly. Parabolic galved springs are on the wish list but there’s plenty of life left in these.

Weight of the frame is 130kg, drawbar axle and wheels 140kg.

I drilled a hole in the axle to inspect it: no rust I could see. Poured in some oil and sealed with epoxy.
Attachments
5995B46D-6FF7-4456-A808-21A4E9C5301F.jpeg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Trailer is back looking all shiny. I have needed to get some new leaf springs custom made, so have been busy fairing the sides of the boat and epoxy coating the wooden bunks. The bunks are only about 1 metre long. The centre rollers will be taking most of the load, on the skeg there will be plenty of bearing surface.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Photos.

Just moved to a premixed fairing epoxy. It mixes to green which will be a good contrast. The photo is before I put that on.
Attachments
450B23AA-9543-4AB7-BFB6-EFA1F3D1974F.jpeg
85967185-0F34-4823-B533-3976F8CBD5BA.jpeg
A0873569-7B06-4E85-8D1E-1FB29A40DEF4.jpeg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

So here's the latest photos on the side and a couple of closeups of some little holes in the fairing putty. What do you guys reckon? Will they fill with high build primer or do I patch with a little epoxy putty? Aside from little details like that I'm just about ready to put a couple of coats of epoxy on top and move to the other side, which is still in the same state it was back in May.
Attachments
44E0D8AB-69D6-4DA6-B2D1-FACAAB8B5F31.jpeg
5D43FA4B-F534-422C-923A-C260AC5BAC7E.jpeg
967E5BA3-8EF6-4557-8805-5E4B9343F59C.jpeg
A9847155-1A3E-4D13-AC7D-7A05977CF312.jpeg

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:08 am So here's the latest photos on the side and a couple of closeups of some little holes in the fairing putty. What do you guys reckon? Will they fill with high build primer or do I patch with a little epoxy putty? Aside from little details like that I'm just about ready to put a couple of coats of epoxy on top and move to the other side, which is still in the same state it was back in May.
I don't think there's anyway high build primer will fill those. Up to you what level of finish you are going for though.

Are you putting epoxy over the top now? That's setting you up for a ton more sanding I think and not sure what the benefit is. I'd move to epoxy primer after fairing not more laminating epoxy unless your fairing compound says you have to.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I was planning on using a single pack polyurethane, with the poly high build primer for that. So I thought a thin roller coat would help seal the surface. The boat bottom will have Aluminium filled WEST over it. The finish on the bottom will be workboat but I am after better on the sides. I'll try and fill any hole that I can feel with a fingernail.

Thanks!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:08 am So here's the latest photos on the side and a couple of closeups of some little holes in the fairing putty. What do you guys reckon? Will they fill with high build primer or do I patch with a little epoxy putty? Aside from little details like that I'm just about ready to put a couple of coats of epoxy on top and move to the other side, which is still in the same state it was back in May.
Agree that they’re too deep for HB primer, but if you want to spread some, it will highlight other spots you may have missed, and you can then them all with fairing compound.

For small spots like this, I really enjoyed using Awl Fair, which seemed to go on more smoothly than QF or TF. Just a small container...

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

That was a commercial fairing putty made by a NZ fibreglass shop. Not a proper brand name, but it works ok. I think I'll put a roller coat of tinted epoxy on the whole side to seal and protect from UV, and then fill the holes I can see with WEST 410 wet on green. Then I'll leave it to work on the other side. High build can wait.

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

I would just get a long board and sand the high spots then fair the boat again the I would lightly spay the hull with a spay paint then use the long board again this will show u your high and low spot the just fair it again repeat this process until desired smoothness then prime the hull and be done with it I would not add epoxy to those spot the fairing should get rid of those
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Some of those holes may not be on high spots and not sand out. I'd just slap a schmear of Quickfair to sand on those.

Dougster