23 ft Hartley Cabin boat repair/rebuild and hull extension

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 23 ft Hartley Cabin boat repair/rebuild and hull extension

Post by magoo_za »

Interesting. Not sure about the Micatex application. Nonetheless thanks for the advise but I am about 3/4 way done with sand and gelcoat already.

Cheers

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Hi guys

I have completed the non-skid and rubrail. The rubrail is made from 15mm HDPE plastic routered with a champher each side. I sifted the sand used on the gunwale to obtain smaller granules. Much better than the initial gunwale coating, but still coarse. When applying the sand I rolled it flat with a PVC pipe which seemed to flatten the sand granules somewhat more. For now I am happy with the result. If you remember I did state that my boat is a bit utilitarian and not a show boat by any means. I am currently chasing the 11th of December as my seaworthy inspection (Certificate of Fitness) is scheduled for the day. This includes a safety inspection and water trials.

I have to still run the fuel and external 2 stroke oil lines and bring the battery cables in from the motors.

The end is in sight......... as usual some pics for your entertainment.
20201203_191818.jpg
20201203_191717.jpg
20201203_191741.jpg
20201203_192041.jpg

Cheers!
Last edited by magoo_za on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Looking good!

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

TomTom wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:37 pmLooking good!
Thank you Sir!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Some close ups of your anti-skid and recipe, please.

Feeling like kiwigrip is a bit soft..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Hi Fallguy

Simple.......roll on some resin as the base for the sand to stick to, but make sure you roll it even without puddles otherwise the sand clumps, add your sand to such a point where no deck is visible. Roll out with an old rolling pin or PVC pipe to push the lower granules flat. When it is dry sweep up the majority of sand and thoroughly vacuum with a stiff bristle adapter on the vacuum cleaner. If you skip this step you end up with too many granules on the roller. Use a long mohair or similar roller to add your 10% thinned flowcoat or poolcoat and let dry. It appears extremely coarse but is gentle on your feet. If you want to do an edge just do the edge first and then tape it over.

20201205_184400.jpg
20201205_184421.jpg

Cheers!

Ps: I tinted white flowcoat with 100g per kg dark pigment to obtain the shade of grey seen. If you need it darker add more pigment.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks. My boat is all epoxy; so I have to reconcile the flowcoat notion.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

You can put flowcoat over epoxy. WEST have done tests on that.

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:53 pm Thanks. My boat is all epoxy; so I have to reconcile the flowcoat notion.
If you substitute the flowcoat for paint, I am almost certain that you will obtain the same effect.

Cheers

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Hi guys

So I had a few minor setbacks, however recoverd from them as well. As per previous pictures you would notice that the motors were hung. Yesterday I completed the rigging and tried starting them. Starboard side fired up immediately but the port side wouldnt turn over. The starter solenoid gave the audible click but the internal contacts did not make contact. Opened the solenoid up to discover that due to the backing nuts on the posts having been removed, that the tightening of cables have pulled the two posts out of reach of the internal contactors. I reset the heights and repaired the burnt contacts.

Problem 1 fixed.......

The motors I have, Evinrude E-Tec 115's, run external 2 stroke tanks. After starting both and doing the best I could to prime the oil before starting, I received low oil pressure alarms on both. Turns out the oil lines have, due to age, hardened around the barbs. On one the Oeticker clamp was tight but the pipe loose and on the other a cable tie was used. Bear in mind that the joints I am referring to are concealed beneath a cover and I have not run the motors long enough to realise the issue. Nonetheless I replaced both with new stainless clamps to ensure a good seal and sufficient vacuum from the oil pump.

The water trials this Friday will tell what is what. I have decided to temporarily halt the sanding I had planned and to complete the festive season as is. I will continue on next year with cosmetic improvements. I am going on leave soon and hope to do some fishing.

I will update you after the water trials on the status.

Cheers!