23 ft Hartley Cabin boat repair/rebuild and hull extension

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 23 ft Hartley Cabin boat repair/rebuild and hull extension

Post by magoo_za »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:33 pm Just wondering what speeds at cruise and max. And how it runs compared to before. I am betting it runs a lot better as it looks to be lighter.
Hi

She is a lot lighter, but not light by any means. She weighs 1890kg (4155 lbs) dry (without fuel anchors etc). Fully laden, including 6 crew she comes in at 2885kg (6360 lbs)plus 320liter of fuel. She has a draft of just 300mm (give or take) and sits 100% level. Trawling at 1000 rpm (7km/h or 4.3mph or 3.7kts ) she consumes 1.4l/ph(0.6 US gal/h). Cruising is at about 40 to 43km/h (26mph) with consumption at approximately 31 l/ph at 4300 to 4500 rpm.Fastest I have done is 59km/h (36 mph) but that is on a generous chop of about 3 foot. Will see what she does on a very calm day. I expect about 62 to 65 km/h at WOT.

We spend the majority of time trawling or just planing due to our rough water. When I have ran a good trip I will post some more data.

Cheers!

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Looks fantastic ... can you feel a noticeable difference in how she rides?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

magoo_za wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:39 pm
Fuzz wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:33 pm Just wondering what speeds at cruise and max. And how it runs compared to before. I am betting it runs a lot better as it looks to be lighter.
Hi

She is a lot lighter, but not light by any means. She weighs 1890kg (4155 lbs) dry (without fuel anchors etc). Fully laden, including 6 crew she comes in at 2885kg (6360 lbs)plus 320liter of fuel. She has a draft of just 300mm (give or take) and sits 100% level. Trawling at 1000 rpm (7km/h or 4.3mph or 3.7kts ) she consumes 1.4l/ph(0.6 US gal/h). Cruising is at about 40 to 43km/h (26mph) with consumption at approximately 31 l/ph at 4300 to 4500 rpm.Fastest I have done is 59km/h (36 mph) but that is on a generous chop of about 3 foot. Will see what she does on a very calm day. I expect about 62 to 65 km/h at WOT.

We spend the majority of time trawling or just planing due to our rough water. When I have ran a good trip I will post some more data.

Cheers!
It is amazing how close your boat numbers match my Seasports. I do most of my travelling in the low 20 knot range or I get the filings knocked out of my teeth.

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

TomTom wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:21 pm Looks fantastic ... can you feel a noticeable difference in how she rides?
Hi TomTom

I can feel she sits higher and is obviously much lighter. Handled sharp turns, chop etc very well. I suppose the heave nose and lenght helps a lot.

Cheers!

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

How much did you add on in the end? Weren’t the old engines on a transom bracket?

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

TomTom wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:14 am How much did you add on in the end? Weren’t the old engines on a transom bracket?
Hi
I added 1m to the stern where the old outmount brackets were and lowered the transom height to match the 20" motors.

Cheers

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Hi guys

Some feedback. We ran big seas today with 3 to 4m swells on a forward starboard beam. I had 6 pax on and she took the water very, very well. With the cabin a head on sea is no issue and we stayed nice and dry. Fishing, bottom, with 6 pax is a bit crowded and 4 would be more comfortable. We came back with a smaller, yet still big following sea, port aft, and still she handled very well. Coming closer to land I could get on plane and sat very comfortably at 40km/h , 4500rpm, 32l/ph for the last leg of the journey. At rest, with the swell head on we did obviously experience a lot of motion and when drifting free rolled quite a bit with some crew, including myself, not feeling too well.

Some of todays' catch.....Miss Lucy and Carpenter fish.

IMG-20201219-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20201219-WA0015.jpg
Cheers!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Oh, some tests and fish both.

For a fishing boat like yours, I would think you could maybe run some fish on outriggers to slow the roll.

Other guys use five gallon buckets; anyway something worth looking into or dramamine!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Hi guys!

Any Evinrude Etec guru's around? :help:

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I had a FICHT RAM which was the predecessor to the Etec - and we have no support for them here - so I had to learn to muddle my way through some of their “irregularities”.... maybe I can point you in the right direction....

Some very basic things I found .... they were very voltage sensitive and did all sorts of weird things if voltage wasn’t quite enough. Crank position sensor needs to be perfect distance other wise all sorts of other warnings get triggered. Diagnostics really helped - there is a way to do it without a computer in the FICHT - not sure about ETEC.

Generally, I liked the engines - but they have lots of quirks.