23 ft Hartley Cabin boat repair/rebuild and hull extension

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 23 ft Hartley Cabin boat repair/rebuild and hull extension

Post by magoo_za »

Thanks TomTom

I have 08 115 Etecs with about 700hrs on each. I recently developed an issue on one motor whereby the bottom two cylinders would wet the plugs. Initially I removed the plugs, cleaned and dried them and she would be fine. On Friday past the motor did the same thing again and was first hard to start and when started ran on 2 cylinders. I linked the diagnostics software with no errors visible. No matter how I changed the plugs round, the bottom cylinders would repeatedly wet the plugs.

I eventually bought 4 new plugs, raising the heat range one step as we troll a lot, and this had the motor going again. I could not test the motor at WOT due to bad sea conditions and tested the folliwing day. Initially the motor woukd not rev past 3000 and felt "weak". After a long time idling, as I was planning on taking her out to do more trouble shooting. As my local slip was too busy I decided to return to the harbour. Under way the motor suddenly started firing or running better so I ran her a bit longer. She picked up instantly and regained all the power initially available.

For now she is running good but I am still concerned about the initial issue of what I think is overfueling. The report shows a difference in delay and quantities of fuel supplied to the top cylinders. I have searched everywhere in the software and cannot find a place to set the injectors?

Any advice is appreciated. By the way all voltages are stable and within tollerance ranges.

Cheers

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

... well your issues are beyond my ability other than to ask the simple question which is are you indexing your plugs? Certainly on my FICHTs you had to have them aligned in a certain way and annoyingly only certain plugs fit certain cylinders just right so you need a few extra plugs to get the ones that fit correctly.

What I had to do at one stage was go on the website Justanswer.com and sign up for an expert Evinrude Marine Mechanic to help. I got a guy called Jeff - who through a series of messages/ emails helped me narrow down the issues and was able to look at the diagnostics and make better sense of them.

Another place I found good advice was The Hull Truth forum.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

1B535A1F-DDA8-40CE-8154-FB6C46BEE992.png
Injector nozzle replacement time per my goggling. Goggles required

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/fl ... ne-9762030

I'd get the prts while you can.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Good old you tube!! Here is a video on cleaning an Etec injector.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7O0qZtq_TCE

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomTom wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:05 pm Good old you tube!! Here is a video on cleaning an Etec injector.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7O0qZtq_TCE
Nice.

Now I am wondering what he finds.

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Hi guys

Somehow I missed all your posts? The riddle has been solved in the following manner:
1. Spark plug indexing was not correct. Fitted new plugs and indexed correctly and torqued to spec. Sounded like she was running good with rpm's at 600/650........
2. Ran her as a test and the port motor felt like it did not have any power. Being on the water and not having proper access to the whole motor and not wanting to drop tools in the drink, I took her out, testing began in ernest......
3. Prop spinned!!!!! WTH?!?! Changed that out and testing will tell.......
4. Here comes the good part....... I hooked up EV DIAG and started with a report, monitoring and static testing, all clear but the motor sounded "off". Long story short I narrowed the issue down to No4. Did compression tests all round - all good. Checked coils - all good. Checked injectors and although all seemed well I noticed that the injector serials did not correspond. Some twat replaced injectors and never updated the coefficients for them. Updated that and thought perhaps it would be better.......no4 still gave issues;
5. Stripped and cleaned the no4 injector, not any dirt in there and everything seemed fine....tip was clean, resistance within spec.

I am currently shopping for an injector. Locally it costs more for a used injector than what a new unit retails for in the US so I am trying to find a replacement unit and will import it. If any of you might have a lead on good used injectors, please let me know.

Cheers

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

That’s all good news - sounds like you are really getting there. I found with my FICHTs that issues compound each other and that starting with the key ones first and working through them logically tended to make the problems less than they initially seemed.

I believe I used these guys in the US to get a few spares.

https://www.dfitechnologies.com/

They were incredibly helpful on the phone - very passionate - I would give them a call and talk through what you have done repair wise.

They will have a soln for you.

The guy convinced me not to turn my engines into moorings when I was about to... and also ... although at times my FICHTS were a pain in the ass, I view them in a different light after his explanation of how clever the technology and ideas really were at the time.

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Tx TomTom. I found a guy on the BarnacleBill forum willing to part with a set of 4 with 128hrs on them for $200. This said however I am now struggling to get hold of him. With our exchange rate 15.33 Rand to the US$ it is a lot of money and then import taxes and courier costs etc. Local guys are nuts and want $300 used and almost a $1000 new for one injector. I am however hesitant on buying privately.......... Wish I knew someone who could pick up the parts in Texas and ship to me .

Oh well, time will tell.

Cheers

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I think that guy at DFI does something like a parts exchange - so you send him your old ones for repair and he sends you them or other reconditioned ones back. Surely if you did that from SA you wouldn't incur import duties because you can show yours were sent for repair? I do see he costs quite a bit more than 4 new injectors for USD 200! Wow.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

magoo_za wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:01 am Tx TomTom. I found a guy on the BarnacleBill forum willing to part with a set of 4 with 128hrs on them for $200. This said however I am now struggling to get hold of him. With our exchange rate 15.33 Rand to the US$ it is a lot of money and then import taxes and courier costs etc. Local guys are nuts and want $300 used and almost a $1000 new for one injector. I am however hesitant on buying privately.......... Wish I knew someone who could pick up the parts in Texas and ship to me .

Oh well, time will tell.

Cheers
If you only need a US buyer; I'd try it for you. How would we exchange funds?