23 ft Hartley Cabin boat repair/rebuild and hull extension

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 23 ft Hartley Cabin boat repair/rebuild and hull extension

Post by Jeff »

Really nice work!!! Jeff

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Jeff wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:48 am Really nice work!!! Jeff
Thank you :D

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

She's looking great - I reckon she will ride beautifully with the extension! Lots of Hartley's built up here in Kenya but sadly many were/ are still wood/ply/ polyester and are a maintenance nightmare. One of the best marlin boats on the coast was a 28 Hartley that was extended to 32 ... she picked up a few knots in the process I am told...

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

TomTom wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:35 am She's looking great - I reckon she will ride beautifully with the extension! Lots of Hartley's built up here in Kenya but sadly many were/ are still wood/ply/ polyester and are a maintenance nightmare. One of the best marlin boats on the coast was a 28 Hartley that was extended to 32 ... she picked up a few knots in the process I am told...
Thank you! Do you have pictures of the Kenyan Hartleys?

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

This is Pussycat. Built on a farm about 400 miles from the ocean 44 years ago and still fishing today. Was extended to 31 feet I believe from 25. Has to be in the running for one of the boats with the most big marlin under her belt on the East African coast. Powered by twin 180 Ford Sabers and does about 17 kts tops. Won’t win a beauty contest but very utilitarian!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomTom wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:14 am Image

This is Pussycat. Built on a farm about 400 miles from the ocean 44 years ago and still fishing today. Was extended to 31 feet I believe from 25. Has to be in the running for one of the boats with the most big marlin under her belt on the East African coast. Powered by twin 180 Ford Sabers and does about 17 kts tops. Won’t win a beauty contest but very utilitarian!
I really am a big fan of utility when fishing is involved.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Howzit, howzit all you boat building people!! After a long absence I am back and will do some updates in the next few days.

See you soon!

Cheers!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

magoo_za wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:15 am Howzit, howzit all you boat building people!! After a long absence I am back and will do some updates in the next few days.

See you soon!

Cheers!
Good deal I have been wondering how you were doing.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Figured you were out fishing!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

Hi guys

What can I say? Sanding, sanding and more sanding is about all that is being done at the moment. I have added a photo of the port side aft to try and show the sprayed gelcoat before and after sanding with 250 grit paper. Everything is being wet sanded.
20201116_092000.jpg
20201116_091952.jpg
The gunnels are gelcoated and is being sanded back for a new coat with non-skid in. I am planning on using sand on wet gel....any advice on the technique will be apppreciated. We dont have products like soft sand or similar additives locally available, so sand it will have to be.
20201116_092009.jpg
On another note, the stainless is taking shape as can be seen. Some more work required, but as with everything else, that too shall eventually get done.
20201116_092014.jpg

I will try and post more updates over the next two weeks as I am aiming to have the boat on mooring early in December...... so I have a deadline to chase. A lot of finishing work and survey to still happen, so watch this space.

Cheers