SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by BrianC »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:15 pm The longboard is nice, but the abranet mesh wears out too fast per $. I like using festool papers; it takes 10-11 sheets at 50 cents each. But they last longer than the mesh.
I found some 4.5" adhesive-backed rolls which worked pretty well -- they were about $15-20 for a 30' roll. I believe the brand was Porter-Cable. What really helped extend the paper life was using compressed air to clean the surface every few minutes. Of course that only works if you are outside in a reasonable breeze (pretty common here in coastal NC) and are standing upwind!
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

BrianC wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:36 pm
Here is a shot of the underside of the plate — a shout out to VT_Jeff from whom I stole the idea to bevel the underside of the plate:
Nice use of the beveling and of the objective case!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I've finished adding the "top hat" style cleats to bump up the sole by 0.75" or so. If I ever used them again I'll pay a lot more attention when putting in the stringers and frames. The GV15's stringers and frames are just a single layer of 3/8" ply so don't go in perfectly straight unless you take care (which I didn't). Just a bit of wobbly (1/8-1/4") means the slot in the top hat cleat needs to be opened up. I had cut the slot on a router table and then cut them to length before I discovered the wobble issue. I spent about a week opening up the slots with a chisel. :help:

Now onto finishing the chase tubes and cutting the floor panels. I picked up a sheet of 3mm ply along with the 12" Meranti ply for the sole. I've been using the 3mm sheet to make a pattern for the final cut. Here is the first sole panel pattern and cut Meranti sheet:

SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

BrianC wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:42 amI only used the filling board a couple of times and wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't had a bigger build planed for the future (PG25C).
When you're ready to think about that new, bigger boat build, contact me & I can put you in contact with someone who cuts one heck of a jig for an awesome Carolina 25 hull. It won't be stitch & glue, but rather a cold molded boat. You'll have all the skill you need by then. And they are local to you & me here in NC. I won't post any links or mention the designer here out of respect for Bateau.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

What is the best way to seal around chase tubes coming up through the sole?
03A2EE05-F6E8-4336-9CED-73E76B1453B7.jpeg
481E147C-3FD8-4CDF-95F9-3176FDA27FC6.jpeg

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

All foamed and sole is in place. Rain is forecasted for tomorrow so I rolled on a quick coat of epoxy to seal it all up.

Up next, fillets and tape to firmly attach sole to hull and then a layer of 6oz. cloth. Sure is nice to be able to walk around inside without stumbling over stringers and frames!

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Looking good Brian!

I think most seal the tubes coming up with either thickened epoxy or some type of flexible caulk.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

piperdown wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:05 am I think most seal the tubes coming up with either thickened epoxy or some type of flexible caulk.
Yeah, I found this post from Jacques that lays it all out:
jacquesmm wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:36 am ...Epoxy does not bond to PVC pipes. At those points, your pipes must extend above the sole by a few inches and they must be sealed where they go through the sole. You can seal with 5200 or you can build a fiberglass sleeve all around to the top of the pipe. Think of the PVC pipe as a lost mold. To just glass a small lip around the pipe is not sufficient. Even with the methods above, if water gets over the top of the pipe, it will flood the pipe and go somewhere....
Are there alternatives to 5200 that aren't so gooey and sticky? I'm hesitant to use something not rated for the marine environment.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Today I added fillets then placed 12 oz. biax tape after the epoxy started to set.

Next up, 6 oz. woven over the exposed plywood sole.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

It has been awhile since my last update. Boatbuilding was on hold for a few months but is now going again. The sole is covered in 6 oz. woven & the motor well bulkhead and casting deck frame installed:

The cut-outs in the motor well frame to the left and right of the motor well are for a pair of passenger seats and double as steps to the transom / side decks.

Next up are the above sole frames with cut-outs and the bow locker. I'll be posting a separate couple of threads on those to get suggestions / guidance from the forum.