SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by BrianC »

piperdown wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:52 pm Looking good but I thought the skeg was supposed to go width size up? I don't have the plans so I don't really know but other skegs I've seen are on the narrow side of the board the it goes up a couple of inches.
I think that they normally do go on with the wide dimension vertical. The plans don't call for any skeg but most small boat builds use something like a 1"x1" skeg. My thoughts on using a horizontal 1"x3" were that it would act as a skid plate when beaching the boat and would provide an effective skeg height of more like 1.5" (since that will be the height of the vertical faces once I fill the side gaps) without adding more to the hull's draft. :doh:
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

BrianC wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:34 pm
piperdown wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:52 pm Looking good but I thought the skeg was supposed to go width size up? I don't have the plans so I don't really know but other skegs I've seen are on the narrow side of the board the it goes up a couple of inches.
I think that they normally do go on with the wide dimension vertical. The plans don't call for any skeg but most small boat builds use something like a 1"x1" skeg. My thoughts on using a horizontal 1"x3" were that it would act as a skid plate when beaching the boat and would provide an effective skeg height of more like 1.5" (since that will be the height of the vertical faces once I fill the side gaps) without adding more to the hull's draft. :doh:

Ah, okay, that makes sense now. I didn't realize that it didn't call for a skeg at all.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct, the skeg is optional. For planing boats in that size, if I show a skeg or if someone wants it, I specify a 1x1 or a 1x2 on edge. Nothing fancy. See my notes about appendages here:
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63623
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Over the past few days I got all three layers of the starboard side rub rail installed.

Next up was preparing the chine wedges. Since they need to bend along the forward part of the chine, I made cuts at 0.5” intervals. This is the face that will be against the hull:

Here is the starboard chine wedge screwed down. Once it sets, I’ll shape it a bit and blend the back end to match the hull’s bottom.

Here is the port chine wedge screwed down plus the first layer of the rub rail.

The last thing I did today was to begin the edge sharpening using a mix of epoxy+milled glass+1/4" chopped glass strands. Transom is first:

My 5” casters arrived so those will go on tomorrow.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I’ve been knocking off lots of little tasks over the past (nearly) two weeks. All three layers of rub rail are install, including the ones that wrap across the bow. The chine wedges have been shaped and blended with the rub rail at the bow. Today, I added dams so that I could fill both the back end of the chine wedges as they taper down and the forward corners when the side and bow rub rails meet. Here it is pre-fill:

and post fill:

The 5” casters have been installed. I’ll leave the strongback up on its legs a bit longer though since I need the baseline reference (currently level) to mount the spray rails.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I ended up gluing the spray rail on with the bottom edge about 3” above the waterline. They start 6” forward of the transom and extend about half way to the bow.

The chine wedges got a covering of biax tape. Next I’ll fill and sharpen the edges so that they are continuous with the sides of the hull.

Now that the spray rails are on, I no longer need to keep the baseline horizontal so I can remove the legs and switch to wheels.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I hate to say this but the spray rails look a bit strange to me :doh: Most times they are at the same level as the hull or even have a little upward angle to them.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Fuzz wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:03 am I hate to say this but the spray rails look a bit strange to me :doh: Most times they are at the same level as the hull or even have a little upward angle to them.
I was wondering about that. Initially, I thought about making them follow the shear line but I ended up making them parallel to the sole.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I screwed the dam to the transom when I was sharpening the transom's bottom edge, then had to fill the holes. After reading how others here use hot glue, I went that route for sharpening the chine. It was faster and there are no holes to fill — a much better technique.

Once the dams came off it was pretty ugly. There are some voids in along the sides of the forward chine wedges that will need some fill.

I used a 6” Surform plane to do a rough shaping then followed with 80 grit sandpaper on a 30” Durablock long board to do an initial shaping.

Here it is viewed from the transom:

I haven’t done any sharpening of the transom-to-side seam. I’m thinking that I’ll sharpen the lower 4-6” but not any higher up — what have others done?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work BrianC. Jeff