SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by BrianC »

OK, its started. I’m in the wax on, wax off stage. I decided to leave the strongback on its legs for now since that puts the sides at chest height — ideal for fairing. I’ll fair the sides and transom first, then drop it down onto the castors to do the bottom. The first layer of “wax on” went OK if a bit drippy. This batch was mixed up by ‘feel’ — going forward I’ll be using fallguy1000’s recipe.

I’m using slow hardener so it was an overnight wait before fairing. I did use the 30” Durablock in a few tight places but most of it was done using a 33” FlexiSander board (thanks to fallguy1000 for that recommendation!).

My next door neighbor donated a compressor to the cause. While I won’t be using it to power any air tools, it works great to clean the sanding boards. Working outside does have its advantages — just be sure you’re standing upwind!

I wasn’t happy with the forward profile of my spray rails so I made some adjustments.

At the end off the day I put on another layer of fairing mix then went inside for a dose of vitamin I and a stiff pour of Teacher’s scotch.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

What a difference a month makes. After about 8-10 fairing cycles on the sides and transom that part is done. I’m now working on the bottom — just put on the fourth application of fairing compound. Probably one more of the homemade stuff then the last few using QuickFair. Its down on the wheels now which make it much easier to get to the bottom although I still climb up onto it to do the keel area. Also, I can now wheel it out to do the photos.

I've been using only the rigid fairing board for the rear half and I've got the bottom dead flat to better than 1/16".

I’m getting closer to primer — can’t wait!
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Lots of work to get to that point but it will be worth it :D

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 pm Lots of work to get to that point but it will be worth it :D
I certainly think it is but all anyone here sees is a blotchy mess :help: of course, once the primer goes on it should look much better!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I say invite the out to do some bonding time with your longboard. Then see what they have to say :lol:

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Looks Good! Keep at it!

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I finished the pre-priming fairing of the hull yesterday. The edges are a bit too sharp to get good paint adhesion -- here is what they looked like before rounding:

I used a sanding block to soften up the edges a bit. I went with about a 1/8" radius for the transom and back half of the chine edges as that seems to be the recommendation to ensure good paint adhesion. After a final go-over with the RO sander, I gave it a good wash down. Now I'll wait a few days and then comes primer (and probably a bit of fairing touch-up).

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Goodbye blotches! I got the first coat of System Three primer on this morning:

Quite a few holes show up, especially in the area where I did chine and transom sharpening:
holes to fill 1.jpg
Next up, filling the holes with a bit of QuickFair, sanding, then another coat of primer.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I filled all the holes and added another coat of primer. I then decided to flip now and paint the outside later since there are going to be a couple of hull penetrations (scuppers & raw water intake for live/bait well). I built a cradle inverted on the hull, lifted the hull, deconstructed the molds, attached the cradle to the strongback, flipped the boat, and lowered the hull onto the cradle.

The plans call for two layers of 12 oz. biax. on the hull bottom & carried 6” up the sides at the chines: one before adding in the stringers & frames and a second after the stringers & frames are taped into place. It seems like the second layer is done after to ensure that the stringers are fully covered with biax. If I pre-cover the stringers, do you think it would be OK to do the two inside layers before placing the stringers & frames?

Here it is after the flip:

I think I’ll give it a quick sanding to clean up the surface before I start with epoxy & glass.