FS19 in Sherwood, OR

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS19 in Sherwood, OR

Post by TomW1 »

Exactly peewee every boat is different and every one I help the owner prop his motor and boat for is different. Browndog built his heavier and his load was a little heavier than normal the usual so his 115 worked fine for him with a top speed of 42mph. GuyP and his FS19-5% with a 90 also gets close to 40mph with a 90 but it weighs less but he fishes usually by himself. So I propped his motor different than Browndogs. His prop was right on and needed no change. Don't remember about yours Browndog if you had to make a slight change in pitch.

I try to work with dealer props if they offer free exchanges or with Power Tech props as they only charge a $75 exchange fee. Don't want anyone spending $1500-2000 like some have on here to get the right prop. Every boat is different, flat bottom, different amount of v in the hull. Weight, crew size, HP required, gas, gear and other things that cause the boat weighs different at the dock.

Well that is sort of how it works, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Scrappy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scrappy »

Got the first couple of chase tubes fitted and did a test run sending the rigging through. It went pretty good but I did need the fish tape for the control cables as the threaded ends kept hanging up at the last corner.
These two are 1 1/2” conduit. One houses the control cables and hydraulic steering tubes. The second houses the engine wiring harness and I will also run wiring from the battery forward to the bus bars through it.
I’ve been researching marine electrical systems since my practical knowledge of circuitry ended in 6th grade science. Newboatbuilder.com has some good info and there’s some great YouTube videos by Jeff Cote from Pacific Yacht Systems.
Next step for me is to pull all the tubes out, clean up the holes and seal them with epoxy. When I reinstall the tubes I plan to seal the frames and stringers with 5200.

Scrappy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scrappy »

Fuel tank arrived and dry fitted. Sits nicely in the hull. It is 36 gallons. I think I could have squeezed in a few more gallons but erred on the conservative side with the dimensions to ensure I had adequate room for installation.

Raising the sole an inch. Ripped an inch off 2x4s and using a dado to grove them to sit on top off the stringers and frames.

Glued in the first full bulkhead.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Pee Wee probably nailed it. Dealer hears 19' and figures you need power. In the Yamaha, the 115 is the same block as the 90 and the 70, so easy to think 115 is the go to. However, for me, too much weight maybe already in the 90s, only the F70 alternators are wimpy, so I went to twin 90s.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Scrappy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scrappy »

After much consternation I revisited the dealer and went with the 90.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Scrappy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:10 pm After much consternation I revisited the dealer and went with the 90.
Plenty of power. Two miles per hour on flat water. Big whoop.

Beautiful build.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Scrappy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:10 pm After much consternation I revisited the dealer and went with the 90.
You will be fine with the 90. Let me know when you are ready to get it mounted and propped and I will help you select a prop like I did Browndog and GuyP for there FS19's. I will also be able to give you a top speed with my calculations.

Will be following your build with interest.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Scrappy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scrappy »

I’ve gotten a little work done over the past few weeks. Chase tubes are all in. The fuel tank is installed and the cleats along the stringers, frames, and hull for gluing the sole down are in. Started pouring in the floatation foam yesterday. Hope to get the sole cut and dry fitted this weekend.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

That all fit nicely.

Getting the sole down is a major milestone!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looks good Scrappy. Tom