FS19 in Sherwood, OR

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Scrappy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS19 in Sherwood, OR

Post by Scrappy »

Well I recently found myself with a bunch of spare time and lacking excuses so I decided to go for it. I don't have the talent, skill, knowledge, nor experience that many of the builders on this forum have, but what I lack in intellect and experience I plan to compensate by building at a snail's pace!

I have cut out the molds (using MDF molds at all stations and none of the actual bulkheads), transom, clamping boards and stringers. (I'll post a picture later, once I figure that out). Just ordered the epoxy supplies. Plan to cut out the side and bottom panels until those arrive and I can start gluing.

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and get a topic started because I know I will have many questions. Right off the bat, I have reviewed several build threads and don't see that builders are notching the stringers to set the station locations. I plan on notching the stringers for this purpose. Is there a downside I'm missing?

Thanks,
Scrappy

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS19 in Sherwood, OR

Post by glossieblack »

Welcome to the forum Scrappy. You'll get good advice and support here, and we'll enjoy following your build. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to our Builders Forum Scrappy!! You will receive good support & guidance from the membership!! Again, welcome, Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I don't see any down side to notching the stringers other than that locks in the bulkhead placements at that spot. I didn't notch the LB22 stringers to allow myself some fiddle room. I did notch the SK14 stringers. I think either way works, really.

Dougster

Scrappy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scrappy »

Thanks Dougster.

Scrappy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scrappy »

Molds and transom stacked in the garage.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Scrappy!!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your decision to embark on a boat building project. Especially the FS 19! I’m a fan of course because I built one for my brother and have spent many hours in, on, under and all around it. I think you will enjoy the process and I know you will enjoy the result.

If I can be of help in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me. There is a build thread of the one that I built that may be of interest to you as you get to different steps along the way. If you see something and it’s not clear what I did reach out to me and I’ll try to remember for you.

Best wishes on your boat building adventure,
Jordy Evans

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Welcome scrappy! I am a rookie here on the forum as I am on my first build but I can tell you the support here is great and the information share is unmatched! Ask away as you go. Many here have the answers and get right back to you. Good luck with the build and enjoy the process!

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Some of the builders here have been working on their projects for years. I'm sure you'll fit right in.