A facelift of SandPiper, FS14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: A facelift of SandPiper, FS14

Post by Capt UB »

Foam is coming out fairly easily. Using a small shovel and pry bar to pop it out. Damn lot of foam....

Still don't know exactly were the water got in under the cockpit deck, it did move around to all the compartments. I did find I did not use 5200 around the chase tubes as they went thru the frames. Will know more this weekend when I take out the foam in front and backside of the aft bulkhead. With that foam gone, it will most likely show the three chase tubes not 5200'ed in letting the water come from the aft storage compartments when they were flooded. Same with the foredeck bulkhead, that had drained to the aft, but if there was no sealant around the chase tubes there water would have gotten in under the cockpit deck.....
IMG_20200621_164842126.jpg
IMG_20200621_163805190.jpg

I can see the difference in my wood composite boat building knowledge... Will be fixing/sealing better as this Facelift moves on.

Got my Kiwi Grip and Totalboat 2 part high build primer in, once the deck is fixed....

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Well the open cockpit area has finally dried out again!

Going to fill the side compartments along the hull with BBC foam. Leaving the middle compartments free and clear of anything, plus going to add an 6" round screw out under the center console setup. This should help to check for water..

What a pain this has been, I am hoping all the water that blew in during the tornado, twice as much as before has not done any unseeable damage....

Wishing for cooler weather and being the midpoint of the hurricane season, no storms...

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks like dirty, hard work. I'm impressed you stood up to it and have no doubt you will finish with a boat better than new.

Wishing you good weather, Dougster

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Well, I sold the AMF Sunbird..... To much work to make a rudder and tiller, repair the jib, overhaul the trailer..... Oh, buy a small air cooled OB... One less thing to work on or think about.

Back to a nice and clean carport with SandPiper ready to have a new floor installed. I think I have said this too many times now!

Got all the problem marine vinyl removed, but now comes the hard part.... The glue!! When we had some 40f temps the glue was hard as nails. If I don't let the glue heat up too much it comes off with 40 grit.

Well my Holiday plans are set, sand sand sand..... Funny, I have to wear a Mask anyway!!

Happy Holidays and Happy New Years to all of you.

Bob.

Viking.jpg
Viking.jpg (44.59 KiB) Viewed 1764 times