Outboard Questions

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Outboard Questions

Post by grundasaurus »

Hello all, We've gotten bored in quarantine and have been building a bolger diablo (with materials from boatbuildercentral), and we're trying to figure out what our options are for power. We've redesigned the structure significantly and have built a full motorwell for added strength. We've also been using biaxial rather than the woven tape called for in the book. The plans call for 25hp max, but I've got a 1982 2 cyl johnson 60 that seems like it would just be perfectly excessive. I'm leaning towards the bigger motor especially cause it only weighs about 180 pounds compared to the 110 pounds of the 25. Would this be absolutely mental or reasonably doable? I'll attach photos of the structural changes soon. The boat will also have a center console for added comfort and balance. It will also have full length skeg glassed in to keep the bottom stiff at speed.
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Outboard Questions

Post by Capt UB »

grundasaurus wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:48 pm Hello all, We've gotten bored in quarantine and have been building a bolger diablo (with materials from boatbuildercentral), and we're trying to figure out what our options are for power. We've redesigned the structure significantly and have built a full motorwell for added strength. We've also been using biaxial rather than the woven tape called for in the book. The plans call for 25hp max, but I've got a 1982 2 cyl johnson 60 that seems like it would just be perfectly excessive. I'm leaning towards the bigger motor especially cause it only weighs about 180 pounds compared to the 110 pounds of the 25. Would this be absolutely mental or reasonably doable? I'll attach photos of the structural changes soon. The boat will also have a center console for added comfort and balance. It will also have full length skeg glassed in to keep the bottom stiff at speed.

That a beautiful design. The videos show her flying with the smaller OB's. On JM's designs, USCG says one thing, the designer is keeping you safe. I have a FS14 with a 9.8 4 stroke, (Outboard recommended/USCG 6 to 15 HP/25 HP) very happy with the speed, could use a 20 + with us BOOMERS onboard :lol:

Look up some the 16 cc boats here and look at their study plans to match your hull and weight layout. Should give you an idea about hp and weight.
Post if you can some photo's.

Build On...
Bob

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I think the biggest problem with going to more horsepower than the boat was designed for is somebody will at some time use that extra power, putting strains on the boat it was not designed to withstand. The additional weight is a secondary concern.
Hank

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Here are some photos showing what we've done so far, the front two frames were moved forward to create a large casting deck, and the rear frame was moved backwards to create the motorwell. This obviously leaves a large unsupported space in the middle. I plan to create two more frames that will be cut down to keep three inches of frame all the way around the boat, I'm then going to reinforce these with some longitudinal runners which will act a bit like stringers and allow me to build a slatted deck to keep your feet dry. I'm planning on running the skeg all the way along the bottom to also add reinforcement, the draft will suffer a bit but this boat will seldom ever be running in shallow water. We're very open to suggestions on how to reinforce things better though.
Attachments
IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2480.JPG
IMG_2478.JPG
IMG_2261.JPG
IMG_2260.JPG
IMG_2257.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG
IMG_2038.JPG
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress