Texas Flats Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Texas Flats Boat

Post by wwsmith »

Thanks, Tom and Barra. It's amazing how little gain there is when adding HP. I had been leaning towards a Suzuki 140 (just under 400 lbs) before all the other advice started trickling in.

I'll be shocked if this hull is only 600 lbs. Even under 800 lbs would be a wild success, in my opinion! But that was the goal all along to see if we could build a hull that is lighter than a production boat but still very strong. We'll see how it plays out. I had intended to weigh it before ordering a motor, but now I'm concerned about having the hull ready to go and no motor for months.

Are you pretty sure a 6" setback is the way to go on the jack plate? I had been planning on a 4", but suppose we'll need to figure that out soon, too. Would appreciate feedback from anyone with this same tunnel. For what it's worth, I was planning on installing a low-water pickup too.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The 6" set back is pretty much standard now there have been plenty of the XF's built now. The person to ask is Jacques before you order yours since he designed the tunnel. It may need to even be 8" with the XF22, so send an e-mail or call and talk to Jacques. He is easy to talk to. Or e-mail Jeff and he will get you in touch with Jacques.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Just had a thought does any one out there know what the set back should be on an XF22 and tunnel with a 115HP motor be?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Thanks, Tom. I sincerely appreciate the info. Talked to two other dealers yesterday and both recommended 150. I hope you won't hold it against me if I go that route! :) Still trying to do my homework on it, though.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

wwsmith wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:26 am Thanks, Tom. I sincerely appreciate the info. Talked to two other dealers yesterday and both recommended 150. I hope you won't hold it against me if I go that route! :) Still trying to do my homework on it, though.
I think you need to weigh your boat to get an accurate idea of what kind of power it will require. The typical production boat is much heavier than the boats built to the designs here, even when they're overbuilt. It stands to reason those dealers are basing their recommendations on their experience with production boats.
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

wwsmith wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:26 am Thanks, Tom. I sincerely appreciate the info. Talked to two other dealers yesterday and both recommended 150. I hope you won't hold it against me if I go that route! :) Still trying to do my homework on it, though.
No problem. Took some time though looking at the stock fiberglass flats boats. The 20-24' generally weighed 1500-1800lbs and had drafts of 6-8". They all used the 150 HP. So take that for what it is worth. Your finished boat will be under 1000lbs, do you really want to spend the extra $1000's on a 150HP. The one advantage you will have with the 150 is you will be on plane and the tunnel effect comes in sooner. So go with your heart. :D I never want to discourage a builder from what he wants and will help him make the adjustments needed on what he decides on. :D

Since the 150 is heavier than the 115 you will need to move a little weight forward. Say the console 6" forward? I would have to do the exact calculation depending on the motor you get and the final set back. :wink:

Tom

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I don't own one, but have been around one since its launch. Aripeka Angler's Red Alert is a great XF 2O. His jack plate is a hydraulic CMC with a 4" set back. The water jumps up right away in the tunnel. Just spoke with him and he recommends a similar 4" set back hydraulic jack and a 115hp motor.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Thanks cape man am glad Richard pitched in. He has more experience than any one in the XF's. Do you think 4" is enough as he has a 75HP or should 6" be used with the higher 115HP-150HP. I would really like Jacques opinion on this. Tunnels are so dang finnicky. :D

Tom

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

You guys are very generous to put this much effort into this. It is much appreciated. I’m circling back to the idea (in agreement with the advice provided) that maybe it’s worth being patient and weighting this girl once finished then making a more informed decision.

The LM has been good to us and I’m sure she’ll continue to keep us on the water in the meantime.

Thanks again and I’ll keep in touch as we go.

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Still chipping away at it.
Attachments
MDBOE1642.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
TZWJE6911.JPG