Texas Flats Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Texas Flats Boat

Post by TomW1 »

Here is an easy solution to your problem. Start with 3 layers of Graphite/epoxy mixed with Milled Glass Fibers from the Store at $5.95 a pound. It is called liquid fiberglass. Make as a thick mix as you can to apply it. Put on 3 layers. Then for cosmetics if you don't like that put on a Graphite/epoxy at a 30% graphite to epoxy mix. Most people use to thin a graphite mix. Use two coats. I don't know what you used but my friend in Savanah never had that kind of problems on his oyster bars and he loved his oysters.

Well good luck which ever way you go. Oysters are nasty on the bottom of a boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here is an easy solution to your problem. Start with 3 layers of Graphite/epoxy mixed with Milled Glass Fibers from the Store at $5.95 a pound. It is called liquid fiberglass. Make as a thick mix as you can to apply it. Put on 3 layers. Then for cosmetics if you don't like that put on a Graphite/epoxy at a 30% graphite to epoxy mix. Most people use to thin a graphite mix. Use two coats. I don't know what you used but my friend in Savanah never had that kind of problems on his oyster bars and he loved his oysters.

Well good luck which ever way you go. Oysters are nasty on the bottom of a boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tom, how think is the bottom on CL's boats? I think I'm maybe 1/16" thick (three coats) on the v12, and sailing into a bed at 2kn puts a BIG gouge in it. The cement ramps are just as bad (I have lots of glass under it so not too worried.

I'm wondering if CL's idea of think is much thicker than my idea of think.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:36 pm Tom, how think is the bottom on CL's boats? I think I'm maybe 1/16" thick (three coats) on the v12, and sailing into a bed at 2kn puts a BIG gouge in it. The cement ramps are just as bad (I have lots of glass under it so not too worried.

I'm wondering if CL's idea of think is much thicker than my idea of think.
Yea CL always over did every thing so my big problem is the concrete boat ramp and I can get a 1/16" gouge in it and still have graphite. As I recall he put about 5 coats on, maybe 6 because of the oyster bars. And he mixed it with as much graphite as possible, up to about 30% maybe only 25%. I tell you that heavy boat on concrete does not stand a chance, I always have some scrapes.

Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Explorer 19TV »

I wouldn't sweat it, I too have a tendency to overthink it... put 5-6 coats on it and build on. The thing about graphite is it super easy to repair.

On another note how's that sanding coming. :D

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

I like that plan. Think that's exactly what I'll do. Regarding sanding - my fatherinlaw who helped with the fiber glassing asked me to save him an area to practice on, so he's going to do the sides this weekend (really had to twist my arm on that one!). This past weekend I tried to sharpen the rear edges using milled fiberglass and silica or microballoons (don't recall which - it was left over from the last build). It worked great when I did it the time before. I used a sheetrock corner tool that I slightly modified (will send photo next time I think to take one) and applied the material straight to the edges without a form. It held up just like cake icing. Can't take credit for the idea - pretty sure Reid made the recommendation.

Well this time around I didn't thicken it enough and the corners wouldn't hold their shape. Ended up abandoning that attempt and had to sand it off the next day! That was about 4 hours lost. But I'm a slow learner and will try it again today or tomorrow :D

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

That stinks. I've wasted a lot of 4 hours! :lol:

Try to get a video of this process. I don't need it but I like to learn! :wink:

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Something else that might have contributed to the failure is the cooler weather we've been having. I'm using slow hardener and am used to working in 90-95 degree weather. These days in the 70s-80s likely caused the epoxy to not set up like it has in the past. So with that in mind, I might hold off on the second attempt for now!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

wwsmith, did you do OK with the storm?? Looks like a major flood event for Houston and Galveston!! Jeff

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

BB, here's a photo of the tool I mentioned. Going to wait until the weather warms up next week to try it again.

Jeff, thanks for checking in. Other than cancelling a fishing trip, we were pretty unaffected. Far enough inland where we only got light showers. It's unusually green around here for this time of year. Had several late summer rain events to keep things looking good. Feel sorry for the upper coastal areas. Looks pretty soggy.
Attachments
IMG_9464.jpg
IMG_9467.jpg