LM18 Houston Tx

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ericwensel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: LM18 Houston Tx

Post by ericwensel »

I finished the hull painting. I am pleased and ready to move on to the next step.
I had two imperfections. 1) two kamikaze knats which i should be able to mostly remove later and 2) a little bleed through on a drip repair i had to do on the first coat. I have done three coats and there is no way i am doing another so this is it. I used Alexseal paint with the roll / no tip additive. I did not tip and there are no visible roller marks or popped bubble marks. I sanded between each coat with 320 and 400 grit.

This pictures shows the one blemish. You can see under two coats an outline of the drip repair where i sanded it back down to the primer.

Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Oh no................. that blemish makes the whole boat look bad. You had better give it to me. I will let you know where to drop it off :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blemish or not that looks really good. And I am thinking no one would ever see it unless you point it out.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Looks great from here!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Eric - just started following your build. I can only hope that mine turns out half as good. Looks great.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Snazzy color. Around here, that'd scare the lesser fishes into thinkin a monster northern pike had just honed in on them. But it looks really cool.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Oh yeah! Paint job looks great! So a positive review on the roll no tip additive? As advertised?

ericwensel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ericwensel »

Positive review. However, it was my first experience painting so not sure how to compare. It was amazing to see the roll marks and bubble disappear as i moved down the hull. I would load the roller and paint in two foot sections. By the time i finished a section, the section behind the last was a smooth as glass.
Hopefully it is tough. If it is, it definitely surpassed expectations.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

ericwensel wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:24 pm Positive review. However, it was my first experience painting so not sure how to compare. It was amazing to see the roll marks and bubble disappear as i moved down the hull. I would load the roller and paint in two foot sections. By the time i finished a section, the section behind the last was a smooth as glass.
Hopefully it is tough. If it is, it definitely surpassed expectations.

Count it! The looks prove it!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Gorgeous paint job you will never see that little boo-boo once you launch it. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great job, she looks great!!! Jeff