HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by Cowbro »

I guess i'll start off with a little intro. I've been dreaming/planning to build some sort of boat for going on 20 years (since i was a kid). I've been reading forums like this one for years and memorizing the details of every boat plan i can find. When Covid hit this year, I took it as a sign and started my first project, a S&G sit on top kayak that uses the Hobie MIrage drive to replace my plastic Hobie Kayak that i use for fishing in the ocean off the coast of Northern California. I wrapped up that Kayak about a month ago and have a few trips out on it so far.

I actually bought the plans for the C17 and was strongly considering that for my first powerboat project, and then I stumbled upon Yoda Jr's thread about his Dad's HMD19 (I'm just going to call it an HMD19, even though it sounds like the plans might have originally been called HMD18).

I messaged Dan and set a date to come check out the boat. I new it was going to need some work from sitting out in the elements for so long unfinished. I researched as much as i could about the build (there are atleast 4 different build threads on here already for this boat) and downloaded all of the pictures I could find.

Needless to say, I dragged the boat and all the fixings home today. The 2 hours drive was relatively uneventful, other than some slight delaminating on the roof, bow and gunnels. 8O

But we made it safe and sound to the new home. I knew it was going to be slightly too tall for the carport :(

I was originally thinking that I was going to have to do a bunch of sanding to remove the old fiberglass, but it looks like it should peel up pretty easy. the plywood seems to all be in pretty decent shape underneath.
The roof will need to be totally re-skinned.

Editing the first post to include links to all of the other threads about this boat:

Where i found out about it:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64333

Circa 2011
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26637&hilit=yoda

PastorBob working on it (2009):

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18581&hilit=pastorbob+yoda

Yoda's Threads:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7198&hilit=yoda
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8174&p=56137&hilit=yoda#p56137
Last edited by Cowbro on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by Cowbro »

The good news is that the hull is in good shape. the red bottom paint is in fantastic shape. the green painted area has some slight checking, probably due to not having any glass there, just epoxy. There has been some water in the hull from time to time but it seems to have held up well inside since it was out of the sunshine. I will be adding a garboard drain to prevent and future sitting water inside.

My number 1 goal is to get this boat on the water, it is long overdue and deserves to get splashed. I have a few small modifications planned that include ditching the sink (probably keep the water tank for ballast and a freshwater washdown) and turning the sink and stove areas into additional seating. I'll also need to cut down the seat boxes, as it is, the boxes are the perfect height for me (6'2") Once i add the seat and cushion my head would be through the roof. I have other ideas, but i'll probably wait on them in the interest of getting the boat "Done".

My current plan of attack is:
1. Demo/scrape all loose flaking epoxy, fiberglass, fairing compound.
2. Sand EVERYYTHING but the hull.
3. Re-fiberglass the gunnels and it looks like i'll probably be re-taping a handful of the seams in the cabin that are flaking off.
4. 3 fresh coats of epoxy over everything
4. Fairing - gunnels, outside of cabin, probably going to leave the insides on the "workboat" side for now.
5. Paint

Oops, forgot step #0.5 - Call BBC on Monday and place an order for supplies! I'm thinking something along the lines of 3 gallons of epoxy and 1.5 gallons of quickfair. Does that seem like a reasonable ballpark?

I'm going to do my best to keep this thread updated. hopefully this will be the last build thread for this boat. My unofficial target date is to be fishing out of this boat at the start of Groundfish (rockfish/lingcod) season next year - April 1st. Hopefully we'll get it splashed and tested well before that.

Phil

Yoda Jr.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yoda Jr. »

So glad you got it home safe, Phil and it is good hands! So very happy to finally have this project moving forward again, as are my mom and my sister. They were thrilled to hear that Dad's boat is moving forward again! Good luck and I can't wait to see the progress!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Great start on this thread! :D

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I am watching with joy in my heart!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Yes this is good news :D

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, really good news!!! Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Absolutely great news! So happy it found a home!!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

This is so cool, Phil :D I am glad she found a good home / builder. Post lots of photos and do not hesitate to ask questions.

Marc

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Wasn't around when Yoda was here, but it is good that somebody has taken on completion of the project which he'd put so much into.