HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by Cowbro »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:14 am That's neat work on the windows. Did you cut them with a router?
I actually cut them with my 6.5" cordless circular saw. I laid the plexiglas flat on a scrap of MDF and set the blade depth about 1/8" more than the plexiglass. The cuts were pretty decent.

That gave me the rough shape for the windows. For the curves at the corners I marked the curve with a sharpie on some masking tape and sanded them to shape with a 100grit sanding disk on my 4.5" grinder. It worked really well. Then I used the same sanding disk to smooth out the rest of the edges. I finished off the edges with 220grit on my RO sander.

I was worried about working with plexi, all of my previous interactions with it did not go this well. Now I just need to remember to be nice to it so I dont scratch it. Lol.

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Those windows turned out great. Sharp looking boat.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Congrats on the splash(es), the windows look nice and I like the idea of water ballast to easily compensate for load.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Windows look great! Would be interested to see close-ups of the edges inside and out; that looks terrific.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

I just realized that I haven't posted here for a while. I've had the boat out a handful of time over the past two months. January through March is slow for fishing around here as most saltwater species are off limits right now, so the boat has been doing "tour boat" duty. lol. April 1st we should be seeing some action though.

she's officially been out the ocean, in some rather sporty 3-5' @6-8 second swells. Super confidence inspiring. Super dry ride. Never more than a small small splash of water through the scuppers. I am stoked for salmon season to open up so we can get out and do some trolling, spending all day on this boat will be a pleasure.

a few shots:

I am looking to start prepping to repaint the hull. I have a few questions, posting them in the tech/questions section.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Where do you use this boat? And who is Yoda and is he still with us?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:34 am Where do you use this boat? And who is Yoda and is he still with us?
Yoda (His username on here) was Lou Myers, he started this boat back in 2004ish and was almost done in the fall of 2007 when he passed away. I picked up the boat from his son (Yoda Jr) last year.

I am in northern california about halfway between Sacramento and San Francisco. The main goal for this boat is fishing for rockfish, lingcod and salmon in the ocean (bodega bay and halfmoon bay) as well as halibut in the San Francisco bay. Rockfish opens April 1st and salmon usually around the beginning of May, so now is the time to fine tune the boat and get her ready to go.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am jealous of that fishing.

I once caught a small rock cod and the captain hollered at me; get it back down now! He said, never pull up the little one right away!

Sure enough, within 15 seconds; had a 10# ling on grips to the boat!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

it was a relatively productive weekend, we had temps in the 70s so I finished sanding the hull, there was some checking that i filled with neat epoxy, then a thin skim coat of quikfair, and 3 coats of S3 yacht primer. In a perfect world, the sides of the boat would have some 6oz cloth applied, but i don't have the time/resources to knock that out right now, so we'll see how long this fix lasts. I am hoping that with some general maintenance, if i can get another 13 years out if it as-is I'll be happy.

Hopefully get to paint this week, weather is supposed to be great. I'm going with the same Valspar Porch and Floor paint that I put above the sheer and inside the hull. It has been holding up great so far, and if it gets messed up, it is super easy to touch-up.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

She looks good Cowbro!!! Jeff