HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by Cowbro »

cracked_ribs wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:41 pm I'm not very knowledgeable about displacement boats but do you expect any issues with motor height?

On my big boat I have a kicker that I run about that deep and it never loses grip on the water no matter how rough it gets, but that's a 5000 lb planing boat and moving it at 4 knots is all I could ever hope for from a 9.9 kicker. I don't really have a sense of ideal prop height on a boat like that although one thing's for sure...you will never bark that prop, unless your travel plans include Niagara Falls, I guess.

Anyway looking good! Bet you're itching to get her on the water.
I am certainly a newb to displacement boats also. a 25" shaft is the recommended size for the boat, so i am sure it will be fine. At the speeds it will see the extra drag of the leg/prop hanging down shouldn't be a factor. But it will be interesting to see what happens when i'm bobbing around in some 3-4' seas. lol.

And yes, itching is an understatement.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Oh well if that's the recommended shaft length you're golden; for sure whoever designed it (Evan?) would have chosen it intentionally.

She's really looking good.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi Cowbro, looking good 8)

Correct, this boat is better outfiited with a 25" extra long shaft. I bought a Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker XL for it. I believe Chicagoross did as well.

Marc

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Thanksgiving update!

Interior is mostly painted. I may regret using so much white, lol. But i have a nice gray nonskid for the sole. So hopefully that will combat the white a bit. I still need to go over a few spots with another coat, but it is pretty much to the point that I can start rigging it. I got the steering cable routed tonight. need to round up some hardware for mounting the steering wheel and make sure i have all the linkage parts for the outboard connection. Then i'll mount the motor controls. Hopefully that goes well. I was a little concerned about the length of the steering control cable, but Yoda had it perfect.

I hope everyone else got to enjoy their thanksgiving.

Edit:

O, and I just spent $10 and 4 hours online doing the boater safety course to get my "California Boater Card" that they recently started requiring. I completed everything and then noticed that it only applies to boats over 15hp...... lol. I guess I'll have it for when I build something faster. :lol: :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

If you learned something it was time and money well spent. Boat looks awesome!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Yoda's legacy continues thanks to a focussed and capable Cowbro.

Wonderful succession build thread. Enjoying it. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work CowBro!!! Jeff

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Thanks for the kind words. It looks better in pictures than it does in person, but what is that saying about "everyone is their own worst critic..."

Question for the masses:

Repainting the hull. I plan to repaint the hull as the current paint has a bunch of patchs/random paint, etc. The weather is going to be chilly for the next few months here. (60* during the day and down in the 30s at night. I can get the inside of the boat up to 80* no problem with a space heater and the boat cover, however i don't have a garage or shelter big enough to put the whole boat inside to paint.

My current plan is to primer the few bare spots on the hull and use the boat as is for now and then in the spring when the weather warms up, give the bottom side a nice thorough repaint. Thoughts?

I'd obviously love to have the boat looking 100% when it first gets splashed, but I also don't want to waste my time on a paintjob that isn't going to hold up.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Boy that interior is looking great.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

is it possible to "tent" the entire boat? I painted the hull of a sailboat i had at the time. A couple of space heaters was all that was needed to heat up the space. It got quiet warm underneath the tent and make working during the winter possible.