HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by Cowbro »

Update:
So, back on the first page of this thread last September, I stated that my goal was to fish the Rockfish opener on April 1st, and I made it! I took the day off work and it was a beautiful day, swells were super light 2ft at 10secs and minimal wind. Fishing was a little slow, and we were fishing somewhere new to me, so we did a bit of searching around. No lingcod, but it was still a good day and it leaves plenty of room to improve for next time.

I also got to take my mom and stepdad out and they had a ball and both caught fish, neither of them are big fishers, but they did great, it was awesome to get to share the day with them.

Copper Rock Fish
Gopher Rockfish
Brown Rockfish

A little sticker, tribute to Yoda.
A shot from a few weeks ago, it was too picturesque not to post
This was the first blood on the boat a few weeks ago.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Very nicely modified and completed. Your relaxed smile says it all. Congratulations. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Yoda Jr.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yoda Jr. »

Phil,

We're so very pleased with what you've done with the boat! Your attention to detail is awesome and you made the boat your own. I'm sure my dad is smiling and he's probably a little jealous, as this was exactly what he was hoping to do with it! Well done, and we hope you enjoy it for many, many years and fill the freezer several times over!

Dan

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Cowbro wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:37 am Update:
So, back on the first page of this thread last September, I stated that my goal was to fish the Rockfish opener on April 1st, and I made it! I took the day off work and it was a beautiful day, swells were super light 2ft at 10secs and minimal wind. Fishing was a little slow, and we were fishing somewhere new to me, so we did a bit of searching around. No lingcod, but it was still a good day and it leaves plenty of room to improve for next time.

I also got to take my mom and stepdad out and they had a ball and both caught fish, neither of them are big fishers, but they did great, it was awesome to get to share the day with them.

Copper Rock Fish
Gopher Rockfish
Brown Rockfish

A little sticker, tribute to Yoda.
A shot from a few weeks ago, it was too picturesque not to post
This was the first blood on the boat a few weeks ago.
To me that is not a bad day on the water. Mom, Dad and 9 rock fish. :D Sounds like your really enjoying the boat. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Looks like you are putting to boat to some good use. It is nice that it seems to be working out well for you.
Class move with the tribute to Yoda!

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Nice boat. How's the visibility from the 'bridge' when lining up on the trailer and other close work?

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:36 pm Nice boat. How's the visibility from the 'bridge' when lining up on the trailer and other close work?
Visibility is generally great, there is never any glare on the windows which is very nice. As far as close quarters navigation, the roof of the cabin, combined with the generally tall bow obstructs the view pretty good. I can't see the bow from the driverseat at all. It is not that big of a deal though.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Your boat will always bring a smile to my face knowing the path it took to get where it is. Beautiful!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I was taught a trick to catch ling cod. When you get a small rockfish; leave it down.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Update:

Christmas in July! After some issues with the Tohatsu 9.8 the wife gave the go ahead to order up a new EFI Suzuki. It came in last week and it is fantastic. Fuel injected, 25" shaft, and power trim and tilt. It is a little porky at 130lbs, however I could still pick it up and put it on the transom myself. I got it out for about 2 hours of cruising yesterday. I can't tell if I like the power trim or the EFI more. It came with the lowest pitched prop they make, a 10x5 4 blade and i was barely getting 5mph out of it. The old Tohatsu with an 8.7x7 woudl easily go 7mph, so i ordered up the 10x7 prop today. Will report back with how that works out.