HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by cape man »

I like!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I like your approach to getting from A to B as expediently as possible.

I know you've already been working on her a while, but did you consider building a cradle for the hull and moving it under the carport? Not sure how much room that would give you above, just a thought.
Hank

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

pee wee wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:53 am I like your approach to getting from A to B as expediently as possible.

I know you've already been working on her a while, but did you consider building a cradle for the hull and moving it under the carport? Not sure how much room that would give you above, just a thought.
I did think about it. Someone here on the forum built a lift kit for their carport with CMU's which would make it feasible to leave it on the trailer and get it under there.

So far it is going alright working outside, hopefully I'll have a first coat of primer on in about a week, which will give me a little piece of mind as far as the epoxy goes.

I dont want this to turn into a 3 year project, so keeping it outside keeps the fire to my heels to keep the progress going. Lol.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Need a few side views, Phil :D

Marc

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

blueflood wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:04 pm Need a few side views, Phil :D

Marc
I know! The wife is working late tomorrow, I may hook it up to the truck and tow it out front just to get some photos of it from better angles.

I used up the last of my totalfair today that was left over from my kayak build earlier this year. It looks like it should go pretty well. Tomorrow I'll move on to my new tub of quikfair.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Side pictures as promised. Spent the weekend painting my hallway and fairing the boat. not much to look at, but progress.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good progress Cowbro!!! Jeff

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Weather was perfect this weekend (50* in the am and 80* in the afternoon, no wind) so it was time to paint as much as i could.
After a week of sanding/fairing during the evenings:
Primered with 2 coats of S3 Yacht Primer. I had planned to stop here and go back for another round of fairing, but the boat looked way better than i expected so i continued on with paint the next day.
3 coats of Designer White - Porch and Floor paint from the local hardware store.

On the paint choice, this boat is going to be sitting in my backyard 99% of the time under a cover, not in the water. I know that this paint will holdup well (i have it on various surfaces around my house), and will be easy to touch up if needed or if I decide to make any further modifications down the road. I rolled it on with a 1/4" nap roller and did not tip it, with the intention of leaving a consistent "orange peel" texture all over. I don't have the time/space to go for a perfect yacht finish on this boat right now, so this should help camouflage minor imperfections. To be honest though, it looks a lot better than I thought it would after just 1-2 rounds of fairing/sanding. So I'm happy.

Next up the is the inside, i need to finish painting on the neat epoxy, fillet/fiberglass the bilge area then fair and paint.

I am planning to re-paint the hull. The plan right now is to spray the hull in a dark green all the way down to the chine. I'll leave the bottom with the red anti-fouling paint.

It is already dark outside, so no close-ups of the paint, but i'll take some tomorrow. Hopefully everyone else had a productive weekend. Cheers.

Phil

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Huge up grade in how the boat looks :!:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Looks awesome from here! 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman