HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by glossieblack »

No nonsense paint job. Looking good. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks good!!! Jeff

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Some mid-week pictures.
A close up of the paint on the bow. I am happy with how it turned out. I'm even happier that i didn't put more time/effort into it since it is already covered in dusty cat footprints from the neighborhood cats. You would think that my yellow lab, beagle and Jack Russell Terrier would be able to keep the strays of my property. lol
I remembered that my work cell has a fun "wide angle" function that takes nice pictures.
I got the entire inside of the cockpit coated in neat epoxy.

Tonight after the sun went down i got the two hatches cut for the sole and cut the sole out to fit them. 32"x24" between the seats where the water storage tank used to be. and 24" x24" over the fuel tank. This should provide good access to glue the sole down to the frames/stringers.

the forecast is for cold weather (60s) through the weekend, so i should have plenty of time to sand the interior and get it all ready for the final bits of glass/fairing.

Yoda Jr.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yoda Jr. »

It's looking great, Phil! Very impressed with the vision and the effort! It's going to be terrific and those rock fish better enjoy the peace and quiet while they can!

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

It's wonderful to see some progress on this boat, thanks for sharing!
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!!! Jeff

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Dan, thanks. I am glad you like it. I forgot to ask if there was ever a name for the boat? After much deliberation I've finally settled on one.

My wife is a huge Tom Petty fan. So I looked to his catalog and after dismissing a few obvious choices like "American Girl" and "Wildflowers" (you belong among the wild flowers, you belong on a boat out at sea) I settled on "The Waiting" (is the hardest part). I feel like this boat has been waiting a long time, and hopefully the wait is nearing the end.

Also, at 6mph, there is going to be a lot of waiting while on board. Lol.

I have the inside of the cockpit faired, and the frames for the new floor hatches installed. Next step is to glass/epoxy the sole. Then it should be ready for interior paint. I feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is just around the bend.

On a weird note... I bought a half gallon of fast hardener last week and the first time I used it I punched a hole in the bottom of the jug. (Doh!) It must have been sitting on a screw or something and when I pumped the hardener out it punctured the bottom. Luckily I noticed it quickly and only leaked a little onto the sole of the boat. Amazon had replacement jugs on 1 day shipping so I've already got the contents transferred to a new jug. I'll be more careful where I set my epoxy jugs from now on.

I'll get some pictures uploaded soon.

Phil

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Like the name. You may want to include an outline of Yoda in the graphic. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Weekend Update. I took the weekend off from working on the boat. Took the kayak out yesterday for some lingcod and rockfish. Today was chores/cleaning up around the house. But I did take some time to snap some pictures of the boat.

I threw the outboard on to see what it looks like.

Should be able to keep the prop in the water when things get dicey. lol.
Just barely peeking over the motorwell bulkhead.
One could easily move the MH bulkhead back 12" without a problem. I am trying to think of ways to utilize this space. I am thinking some sort of bait cutting station will get mounted here. Possibly even a small baitwell that sits in the motorwell.
Mocked up the driver seat to play with placement. Need to mount the steering wheel before finalizing the location.

Really all it "needs" is steering and the fuel line hooked up. This engine will run without a battery/external electronics.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I'm not very knowledgeable about displacement boats but do you expect any issues with motor height?

On my big boat I have a kicker that I run about that deep and it never loses grip on the water no matter how rough it gets, but that's a 5000 lb planing boat and moving it at 4 knots is all I could ever hope for from a 9.9 kicker. I don't really have a sense of ideal prop height on a boat like that although one thing's for sure...you will never bark that prop, unless your travel plans include Niagara Falls, I guess.

Anyway looking good! Bet you're itching to get her on the water.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349